More Travel, is it a good idea??

fat_homer
fat_homer Posts: 470
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

After a little help! Recently got myself Cube Ltd Pro with RS Tora 302 80mm Coil fork, loving the bike but was wondering what adverse effect, if any, investing in a set of forks with more travel, say 100mm, would have?? Looking on the Cube site all the Ltd bikes seem to have 80/85mm of travel which leads me to think it may be a bad idea. I've looked around the forums and not been able to find any answers.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find user manuals for Hayes Stroker Rydes, as there website doesn't have one?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    Adding 20mm of travel would change the geometry and ride of the bike, making it a slacker head angle. Unfortunately I don't know if having a longer fork would be detrimental to the life of the frame. Most frames come with a maximum length of fork, above this and you put undue stresses on the frame, leading to failure.
    Most frames will take an extra 15-20mm, but do you really need to, as the frame was only ever designed for 80/85mm.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    fat_homer wrote:
    On a side note, does anyone know where I can find user manuals for Hayes Stroker Rydes, as there website doesn't have one?

Email Hayes. I asked them for bleeding details for the Stroker Trail and they got back to me very quickly.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    About the fork I think it will be ok if you put 100mm fork.
    New fork: I think you need Reba.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'd check with Cube about what forks the frame is designed/warranted for.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    20 mm is going to make very little diff to geometry of the frame, esp when you set the sag correctly.
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    I dunno, you knock about 1 degree off the head angle for every 30mm increase in travel, taking sag into account.

That might not necessarily be a bad thing, but it will change the handling slightly.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    @ Kegs
    the vagaries of adjusting sag account for that much also most riders are not rigerous about checking and adjusting sag unless it feels wrong. Which is way past the 20 mm.

The 1 degree would also depend on the actual frame geometry - I would think that would be with a more slack head angle bike. I would not go from 80 to 120 mind you ...
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    true, but it seems to be a reasonable rule of thumb for a lot of hardtails.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Thanks for all your replies! Actually taking the bike into my LBS for its first free service next week so i'll ask the question. If that fails i'll email Cube! If it turns out that it'll be ok i may go for a pair of 100mm Rebas!
  • The good thing about the reba (sl version) is that you can adjust the travel via a spacer. 85-100-115mm travel is all possible. I upgraded from a Dart1 on my GT Aggressor. I now have the same fork on my Rocky Mountain and still love it. Excellent bang for buck.

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    The good thing about the reba (sl version) is that you can adjust the travel via a spacer. 85-100-115mm travel is all possible. I upgraded from a Dart1 on my GT Aggressor. I now have the same fork on my Rocky Mountain and still love it. Excellent bang for buck.

Brad

You can do that with RS Tora 302's, not sure about the coil version though
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989