Trans Penine on a Road Bike?

walkernomore
walkernomore Posts: 45
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all - grateful for some advice.

I am planning doing a ride on the trans-Penine next month. Not sure which part - a mate is organising - maybe from as near as possible to Holmfirth up to Leeds and back. Anyone with any experience of the surfaces think that it would be OK to do it on an audaxy type bike (Condor Fratello) - maybe with some tougher tyres (any suggestions?)? I've got a full-sus mountain bike in the shed but it hasn't been out for years and I really can't be bothered to service it plus itseems a bit ott for a bike path.

Alternatively if anyone's got a hardtail (and pref rigid forks) MTB frame they'd be interested in swapping for a full-sus frame (9 year old Marin Rift Zone - for 5'11 ish rider) then I might get motivated enough to build up a more usable everyday bike...

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• by bike path do you mean sustrans type lite gravel path? If so normal racer tires will be fine. Tires like marthons are tough tires that come in a range of sizes from 25mm to 38mm. But you'd more than likely be fine, racers are fine for light off road if one takes some care.
  • Thanks Roger - I think it probably is mosty gravel or better so I'll get some Marathons and give it a go.

Mark