Best cantilever brakes

pedalpower
pedalpower Posts: 138
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
My cantilever brakes aren't working well. They're SunTour XC Pro on a Thorn touring/expedition drop bar bike. SJScycles still say on their website that these are the best rim brakes with drop bars but they don't seem to be available any more and anyway I've always found them awkward to adjust. Any recommendations. Is it worth trying mini-Vs or something instead?

Comments

• Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    What brake pads are you running with? The ones supplied with the Suntours?

I replaced the cantis on my Spesh Tricross with the Suntours bought from SJS and they did improve things. However, an equal improvement came from changing the pads to Kool Stop ones from Wiggle. I bought the red ones because they were the only ones available at the itme, but they did make a big difference. Lots of people recommend the salmon coloured ones.

Also, are you confident that they are set up properly? That can also make a big difference. When doing mine I used Sheldons site: http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    To be honest i've not found the braking too bad. But I find them difficult to center. One is rubbing against the rim now. The spring seems too weak on one side, unless i've got it in the wrong hole. I'll check again. I'm tempted to switch to V-brakes and the Tektro RL520 levers. I've not really used V-brakes before - is it worth it?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have v's on my pomp, and my ss xc mtb, they are excellent, and they stop me far better than the caliper brakes i've used on road bikes
  • Birdcp
    Birdcp Posts: 28
    Have a look at the Avid Shorty. Very easy to adjust.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    I feel that somebody ought to tell that that unless you have disk brakes you are sub-human - that seems to be the usual response to any question about cantis here!

To answer the question, Shimano R550s are adjustable for spring tension on both sides and should be a lot quieter than the Avids. The latter have a reputation for squealing.
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    pedalpower wrote:
    My cantilever brakes aren't working well. They're SunTour XC Pro on a Thorn touring/expedition drop bar bike. SJScycles still say on their website that these are the best rim brakes with drop bars but they don't seem to be available any more and anyway I've always found them awkward to adjust. Any recommendations. Is it worth trying mini-Vs or something instead?

Keep checking SJS on ebay. I bought a set of Sun Tours last year for about £25 for my Dawes and I managed to get another set for my Specialized TriCross just a couple of months ago for I think £3 + £11.

They are brand new from the shop, you just have to be on ebay when they crop up,. They're also sold separately - front and rear so get bidding.

Hey, I just checked ebay, there's some there now!! - 99p !!!
  • Hello,
    I have these brakes and find that I have to dismount them to clean and grease the pivot every few months to keep them freed up.
    Other than that they are a breeze to adjust and very efficient using Aztec blocks.