What spares do you take?

Andrew_J
Andrew_J Posts: 142
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all JUST brought a road bike and I was wondering what spares, puncture kits etc do most people take with them?

I normally ride a Mountain Bike and take quite a bit of stuff with me....
Spare Inner Tube
Mini Pump
Multi Tool
Spare chain Link
Puncture Repair kit etc
Emergency Choc Bar

What I was wondering is obviously you cant take all this with you but what is the norm to take with you? and where the heck do you stash it ?

Comments

• Dunedin397
    Dunedin397 Posts: 149
    Hi there,

That's pretty much what I take but I also use CO2 (as it's a lot easier to get the tyre to a good pressure than a mini pump).

I'm not so sure why you can't take it with you in a seat pack and\or your jersey pockets. The pump could be attached to the frame.

Dunedin
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I have a small rear bug under my seat and in it is a spare tube, a multitool, a gas cartridge and adapter, a small puncute repair kit and tyre levers

It al fits into a nice package and leaves the pockets on my jersey for a bit of cash, my phone and snacks
  • Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    thanks sicrow .. small world I live in stockport (cheadle Hulme)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    In a bottle in 2nd bottle cage:
    puncture repair kit
    cable ties (you never know when you might need em)
    multi-tool/allen keys
    tyre levers

In a backpack or pockets:
    2 spare tubes
    roll of insulation tape (always comes in handy)

On bike:
    minipump

Keeping stuff in a bottle is a great idea that I got from someone on this forum... can't remember who.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • I generally use both bottles, cos it encrouges me to drink more liquid :oops:
    I run a pack underneath my saddle with spare tube, multi tool, tyre levers, spare rear light and a few quid (cake stops...). I have it weighing exactly 454grams too. A rear light is bolted to my seatpost. A pump goes on my frame, as does the mount for my front lights battery for winter time. Spare bit of chain, choc bar and arm warmers go in jersy pockets. I feel like I take too much sometimes...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    No longer use a saddle bag as I think it spoils the look of the bike. Recently got one of these from Wiggle

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Lifev ... 360023499/

In that goes 2 spare tubes, tyre levers, mini-tool, mini-pump and keys leaving my jersey pockets free for food , mobile , sunglasses and/or waterproof jacket.
    exercise.png
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Tube,
    Levers,
    Cool tool
    Cyclaire
    Patch Kit
    Spoke Key
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • The_0ne
    The_0ne Posts: 35
    New to cycling but on my first ride i took

Mobile
    Spare Change
    Credit Card
    Spare Inner Tube
    Glue free patches
    Multi Tool
    8mm Allen Key
    A few plasters :oops:

Food kept in jersey pockets and pump kept on bike
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Tube, pump, levers, phone
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Sorry, rather old post this one, but I put all my tools on of the water bottles, doesnt spoil the looks of the bikes but getting an inner tube in there is a bit of a pain. The multi tool is under the seat and the pump is on the underside of the frame.

If im on a ride longer than an hour then I use both bottles for liquid, and the saddle bag for the tool, although I dont like the look of it under the seat :cry:
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • Gav888
    Sorry, rather old post this one, but I put all my tools on of the water bottles, doesnt spoil the looks of the bikes but getting an inner tube in there is a bit of a pain. The multi tool is under the seat and the pump is on the underside of the frame.

If im on a ride longer than an hour then I use both bottles for liquid, and the saddle bag for the tool, although I dont like the look of it under the seat :cry:
  • Gav888
    edited January 2009
    Sorry, rather old post this one, but I put all my tools in one of the water bottles, doesnt spoil the looks of the bikes but getting an inner tube in there is a bit of a pain. The multi tool is under the seat and the pump is on the underside of the frame.

If im on a ride longer than an hour then I use both bottles for liquid, and the saddle bag for the tools, although I dont like the look of it under the seat :cry:
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    tube
    multi tool
    levers
    pump
    food
    flask of weak lemon drink
    emergency flare
    umbrella
    spare wheels
  • tube, patches, multitool, pump, hipflask. All in pockets, apart from the hipflask, which is mounted on the downtube.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I take...

Saddle bag:
    Tyre levers
    inner tube (x2)
    tube patches
    tyre patches
    CO2 cartridge/inflator
    chain tool
    power link
    small mutli-tool

In my jersey pocket:
    Mini-pump
    Energy bar
    Wallet
    Spoke key
    Mobile phone
    House keys
    Rain jacket (if reasonable chance of rain)
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    I decided last weekend that nearly 2K of 'spares' was a bit OTT :shock: so, as the new Spesh is shod with Marathon Plus, I would limit my kit to my Topeak multitool, a fiver and the 'phone.
    If there is a disaster, Mrs Malc will come and rescue me.. :shock:

In the summer, I will add some spare SRAM links...
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    steerpike wrote:
    tube
    multi tool
    levers
    pump
    food
    flask of weak lemon drink
    emergency flare
    umbrella
    spare wheels

One of these umbrellas? - good for 40 mph :D
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    In saddle bag (Topeak Micro)

Spare tube
    Repair Patchs & Glue
    Co2 Pump And Spare Cartridge
    Tyre Levers
    Mini Tool (Topeak Mini 18)
    Chain Link Pins (To be replaced with quick links when I change chain to KMC)

In Jersey Pockets

Mobile
    Gels
    Bars