Short Tour - Rhone Valley Switzerland - Simplon Pass

kmahony
kmahony Posts: 380
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Planning a short tour from the French Alps, into Switzerland, along what I think is called the Rhone Valley (Sion, Visp, Brig), over the Simplon Pass to Milan.

Anyone done this route? Any good tips?

thanks

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    I've done the Raid Dolomite twice which heads up the Rhone Valley to Brig then over the Simplon. As I recall the valley road from Martigny to Sion is pretty good, wide, flat and with a clearly marked cycle path in each lane (these are very common in Switzerland). After Sion the road can get a bit busier, especially after Chippis where the auto route ends, but it's never too bad (please not I last rode this in 2003 so it may have changed).

With the Simplon Pass you have two options - the new road which is quite a main trunk road and the old road, which is narrower, steeper and has a rougher surface but there is virtually no traffic. It joins the main road about halfway up.

The descent down the other side is amazing, steep, wide and very, very fast. (I recorded my highest ever speed on a bike descending this in 1998 - 56 mph). There are some tunnels towards the bottom but the old road going around them is still there so you can avoid them.

After Dommodossala I'd recommend taking the SS337 uphill towards Locarno but then forking right in the village of Malesco. After a short climb there is a long descent down a beautiful, and very quiet valley, to Cannobio and Lago di Maggiore. You can then either ride around the lake or board one of the ferries and cross it before riding on to Milan.
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    Andy, thanks for the info. Very useful.