Tyre Size Query?

Trickyupnorth
Trickyupnorth Posts: 65
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hello,

Another dopey question coming up...

I've been looking to get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres for their famed puncture resistance, for my Scott P45.

The tyres I have on already are Continental Double Fighter 2 - 700x37c, but when I look online there's 700x35c and 700x38c. Does this mean they don't produce them im my size, or can I just get one of those mentioned?

Sorry for being a bit thick, but I've got no idea?

Any help would be appreciated,

Many Thanks

Richie

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Both the 35 and 38 width tyres will fit ok.
    The 35s will be a bit lighter and make the bike feel a bit quicker :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!

So the 35, 38 etc is the width of the tyre! Makes sense now. And the 700 must be the measurement of the wheel diameter?

So... Does anyone know if there's a limit to the width of tyres anyone can fit, without doing some sort of damage? Or doesn't it work like that?

There must be some sort of restriction, otherwise wouldn't everyone on mountain bikes & hybrids be fitting super thin racing tyres? :shock:

Cheers

Richie
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The limits on maximum tyre size are about the clearance you have in your forks and brakes and the width of the rim. Wider tyres add comfort but increase weight. Going the other way. an mtb tyre needs to b eof sufficient width ti contain enough air to cope without pinch flats and a very harsh ride. Narrow tyres would also be extremely difficult to manage on an mtb (if going off road) as it would try and follow every rut rather than rollng over them.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    Be aware they are quite a heavy tyre so I'd get (have got) the 35's
    Never had a puncture in them yet.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Ritchie,
    As above the frame/forks are the limit of width pretty much. 700C is the diameter of your wheel and the second figure the cross sectional diameter. A narrower tyre will be lighter and properly inflated less rolling resistance than it's wider cousin. The tread on the Marathon plus will let you ride on tracks and towpaths down to 30mm(width) or so as long as you're not throwing it about mtb style.

For those who have trouble sleeping here is a link explaining tyre sizing.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    Have a look at the rim manufacturer's website. You should be able to find out the max/min tyre sizes they recommend. It might be marked on the rim; my mavics are.

I would go with the manufacturers first and check frame clearances with a ruler etc second.
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)