Road bikes suitable riding in pot holed Edinburgh

jason23
jason23 Posts: 71
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Looking for some advice.

Coming from mountain biking I want a "proper" road bike for general training rides, also interested in doing local time trials but dont need a dedicated time trial bike ( cant afford it )

ANyway, the point of my post, Edinburgh's roads are pot holed hell. I have a Scott Roadster ( piece of shit hack bike) for general commuting and I have broken spokes on the Alex R500 cheapo wheels maybe 20 times.

This brings me to the question, can road bikewheels handle crap pot holed roads and the occasional bunny hop thats essential in avoiding mishaps?

How much do I need to spend to get a bike with a good tough set off wheels. Im a lean 13 stone and think it would be prudent to for a slightly heavier build of wheel.

Can any road gurus advise. I cant be bothered having to rebuild wheels all the time.

Help!

JAson

Comments

• fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    I know what you mean about the roads in Edinburgh.....especially at bus stops etc...the roads are all mis-shapen....drains in the road are a nightmare too!

where do you ride?

I tend to ride from saughton...across town...do a couple of laps of Arthurs Seat and then home via the meadows!
    I'm also looking for a road bike and am not sure about the strength of the wheels. from what I can gather they have reasonable strength when hit straight but hit then from the side and you're screwed.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • jason23
    I'm also looking for a road bike and am not sure about the strength of the wheels. from what I can gather they have reasonable strength when hit straight but hit then from the side and you're screwed.[/quote]

I ride all over the city and encounter lethal pot holes everywhere. Its brutal. I just wonder if any road whelel is up to the job.

My Alex R500 wheels are pish but would well build slightly heavier road wheels be up to the bunny hoping road riding that Edinburgh nessesitates!

Anyone?

Maybe I need to get a fast cyclocross rig?
  • XTfan
    XTfan Posts: 1
    Why not just try replacing your wheels. I had the same problem on my road/winter bike on my daily commute to and from work in and out of Belfast. Broken spokes - wheels going badly out of true, etc. I then purchased a set of Quest Como clinchers (£69.00 inc postage) and have not looked back. Ok, they are not light, but I don't think that you can bend them - I've even heard of guys using them on tandems without any problems!
    Try here http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Wheels.html
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    Seems like nobody else can recommend tough road wheels....maybe they just don't really exist. I guess you have to have a trade of between materials/weight and strength....the wheels will do the job and no more.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • yackers1
    yackers1 Posts: 108
    I am sure that I have read a few reviews stating that Mavic Aksiums are "bomb proof". Can't comment though since I have never had any experience of them - although I have been toying with getting a set for the winter.
  • A set of good handbuilts, Mavic open pro or Ambrosio excellence with at least 32 spokes should be up to the job. Not too heavy either.

Just be sure to get them built up properly. Wheelcraft just north of Glasgow is outstanding.
  • jason23
    XTfan wrote:
    Why not just try replacing your wheels. I had the same problem on my road/winter bike on my daily commute to and from work in and out of Belfast. Broken spokes - wheels going badly out of true, etc. I then purchased a set of Quest Como clinchers (£69.00 inc postage) and have not looked back. Ok, they are not light, but I don't think that you can bend them - I've even heard of guys using them on tandems without any problems!
    Try here http://www.questbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Wheels.html

excellent stuff, this is good to hear, new wheels are on the cards I think!
    What are Shimano 105 brake callipers like as I desperately need new brakes too? something cheap! ; )

Thanks everyone for tips
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I've got Fulcrum Racing 7s on my bike - they came with it, so couldn't be described as special heavy duty. In my Edinburgh rides since October last year (usually on main roads like Morningside Road and Minto Street/Gilmerton Road) I've not had any trouble at all. I've occasionally hit the odd pot hole reasonably heavily, but without any damage. Best bet is obviously to manoeuvre around the pot holes, which I can usually manage riding in the primary position in the traffic rather than in the cycle lane - with a road bike I've found it pretty easy to keep up to the normal speed of the traffic, without incurring the wrath of drivers.

I've had worse incidents have been where buses had scooped out a dip in the road, which is difficult to see because of the bus lane markings...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I ride around Edinburgh and the borders, so know what you mean. I use Mavic Aksiums and they fit the bill very well. Quite tough, not the lightest but not too heavy on the pockets. I'm a bit lighter than you though at 10.5 stone. I think it was keith Bontrager that said something like "Price, lightweight, tough: Pick two"
  • I've been riding Aksiums for the past year and think they're great - fast and strong.
    I'm 15 stone, so not exactly a featherweight, but happily bunnyhop over speed bumps and up and down curbs with no problems at all. I also know that some cyclocrossers use Aksiums on their bikes, which should give you some idea of how robust they are...
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe