10 mile work commute – £400 budget – Which bike?

2»

Comments

• How about a Ribble? A friend of mine had one built for £350 ish and he seems perfectly happy with it.

Although, saying that, it only gets an airing once every few weeks.
    ••He's NOT the messiah – he's a VERY naughty boy••
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'd second the ribble. I've just bought one with 10 speed xenon and askium wheels which totalled £500 with postage. Mudguards fitted as standard. Select folding ultra gators for the tyres though if you don't want flats. They were £399 with campag 9 speed gears and campag khamsin wheels, which probably won't make much difference but I had redundancy money to spend. You can even choose frame and tape colour.

It's used for the 20 mile round trip to the gym 3 times a week. I'm hitting under 30 minutes on the ten miles so don't let anybody tell you it's slow. But then I do ride single speed off road.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • I have been doing an 18 mile round trip commute and longer week end rides on the B twin Sport 2 for six months, Put a Brookes Saddle and gatorskin tyres on but other than that it is as it left the shop and have had no trouble. It not very glamous but it was cheap, in the sale about £225.00 if i remember right. Its worth a look

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-4 ... #INFO-TECH
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    peanut wrote:
    huwy wrote:
    This looks amazing value £500 with Carbon fork & Stays !!!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-3-4 ... #AVANTAGES

or a bit cheaper

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-4 ... #INFO-TECH

with a £100 left to change to a carbon fork :lol:

by the time you have changed your pedals and saddle and tyres to something more suitable it won't look such a bargain.
    It may be under £300 but its basically heavy steel forks and very cheap components most of which are brands you've never heard of. Ounce? £30 wheels and huge 32mm MTB tyres for a road bike ?

Basically its junk and imo a waste of £300 you will be dissapointed and wanting to upgrade it almost immediatly.

Bit Harsh my mate has one as a winter/rain/ride to work bike and it's great with an entry level Campag groupset. The £500 one with Carbon Stays looks even better fanstatic my first road bike was a £300 Merida and after 4 or 5 months riding it was very satisfying beating people on bikes 4-5 times the price...

the spec looks ok to me for £300 reading it slowly it means wheels 700c with 32 Spokes
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    huwy wrote:
    Bit Harsh my mate has one as a winter/rain/ride to work bike and it's great with an entry level Campag groupset. The £500 one with Carbon Stays looks even better fanstatic my first road bike was a £300 Merida and after 4 or 5 months riding it was very satisfying beating people on bikes 4-5 times the price...

the spec looks ok to me for £300 reading it slowly it means wheels 700c with 32 Spokes
    well harsh it may be but over the past 30 years or so I have seen thousands of these `cheap' bikes both MTB and road /sports/hybrid call it what you will.
    Very few of them have been of satisfactory quality or lasted very long which is probably just as well because most novice cyclists regret their purchase sooner rather than later when they realise the poor quality of components, how heavy they are . They are soon back on the forums asking how to repair or upgrade them and complaining of transmissions that don't stay in tune, chains shipping, wheels breaking spokes, etc etc.

Almost every cyclist on here will admit they have a box of cheap rubbish components and a drawer full of cheap clothing that they bought when first strting out which are unuseable and unsaleable

In light of that I can hardly recommend them as value for money.

Its like any purchase you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap camera you shouldn't be surprised that the definition is poor the flash inadequate and bits break off after a while .Same with anything really .You get what you pay for.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    peanut wrote:
    huwy wrote:

well harsh it may be but over the past 30 years or so I have seen thousands of these `cheap' bikes both MTB and road /sports/hybrid call it what you will.
    Very few of them have been of satisfactory quality or lasted very long which is probably just as well because most novice cyclists regret their purchase sooner rather than later when they realise the poor quality of components, how heavy they are . They are soon back on the forums asking how to repair or upgrade them and complaining of transmissions that don't stay in tune, chains shipping, wheels breaking spokes, etc etc.

Almost every cyclist on here will admit they have a box of cheap rubbish components and a drawer full of cheap clothing that they bought when first strting out which are unuseable and unsaleable

In light of that I can hardly recommend them as value for money.

Its like any purchase you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap camera you shouldn't be surprised that the definition is poor the flash inadequate and bits break off after a while .Same with anything really .You get what you pay for.

Except when the law of diminishing returns apply.

I ride to work and on weekends, I don't cycle for a club, I may enter into the London to Windsor or some such group bike ride but as of yet I haven't. If I bought the top of the range SCR 1 for £850 or a Specialized Roubaix/Tarmac or generally spent more than £1000 on a bike, at my level I would get no more enjoyment or arguably benefit from the more expensive bike than I would the £400 bike, which serves its purpose.

Sure there are better bikes, there will always be better bikes but the better bikes don't often equate to value for money simply because they are better, certainly not when you weigh the cost compared to the actual usuage.

Shimano 105 components and above are marketed as club/racing components Tiagra and below are aimed at casual riders/commuters. It is completely jutifiable to spend £300 - £400 (with Tiagra/Sora or below components) on a road bike and get value for money if not more value for money than a really expensive bike if both bikes are only going to be used for commuting and possible weekend social rides.

If club rides and races - large miles and speed - are added to the bikes usage then sure the more expensive bike (£800+) would offer better value for money.

It all comes down to how the bike is going to be used - was the rule when I bought my first Mountain Bike with suspension (£150) 10yrs ago is the case with my roadie today.
    peanut wrote:
    They are soon back on the forums asking how to repair or upgrade them and complaining of transmissions that don't stay in tune, chains shipping, wheels breaking spokes, etc etc.

I think what your finding with the above is two things:

(i) Nature of the Beast: Bike's have mechanical parts whether used on a daily basis or left for a year they are going to breakdown no matter how much you spend at some point in the bikes lifespan it will need fixing and people are going to come online asking how to fix it.

(ii) New cyclists will become disatsified with their bikes as their enthusiasm for riding increases. As the demands for their bike usage increase the want for a better bike will also increase. This does not automatically mean that each person should buy the 'best bike ever' for their first bike. It may be too fast, too good for them. Also part of wanting (desire) is not having. Having a bike that meets a persons immediate needs allows further needs to grow.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    at my level I would get no more enjoyment or arguably benefit from the more expensive bike than I would the £400 bike, which serves its purpose.

I admire what you're trying to say but this quote is, I'm afraid, rubbish. If you got a lovely, stiff, light bike with silky smooth gear shifting you would LOVE how it feels, even though as you rightly say you don't need it.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    at my level I would get no more enjoyment or arguably benefit from the more expensive bike than I would the £400 bike, which serves its purpose.

I admire what you're trying to say but this quote is, I'm afraid, rubbish. If you got a lovely, stiff, light bike with silky smooth gear shifting you would LOVE how it feels, even though as you rightly say you don't need it.

How many £800 - £1000+ roadies do I see on my weekly commute to work. Zero.

Sure I would love how a £1000 bike would feel. How much more benefit, given the cost, am I going to get on 12mile commute compared to a bike costing £300 - £400?

Now if it was a weekend and I was doing 50miles + or a club/group ride/race (with no backpack stuffed with my work clothes D-lock, towel, showergel, pump etc all weighing me down) then yeah, that's when I would really LOVE and benefit from a £1000 stiff, light, bike with silky smooth shifting.

The issue with weight: I can lift with minimal effort a £300 aluminium roadie with one arm - that's light enough for me when commuting with backpack. On a weekend or during a race, sure the specific weight of the bike is going to become more important.

Its like I said "law of diminishing returns" there is no point in spending large sums of money on a bike you could literally race if all your going to do is a 10mile+ commute.

Its like driving a Ferrari to Tesco's to do your monthly food shopping. Sure I'd enjoy being in the car. But I would be stuck in traffic and utterly nervous not to put my foot down or the big double decker buses getting too close to the paint. I would enjoy it so much more on the motorway, track or an open road. The solution? Buy a cheaper more practical car for the week and use the Ferrari on weekends when you have the freedom to enjoy it. Same applies to bikes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • peanut
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its like driving a Ferrari to Tesco's to do your monthly food shopping. Sure I'd enjoy being in the car. But I would be stuck in traffic and utterly nervous not to put my foot down or the big double decker buses getting too close to the paint. I would enjoy it so much more on the motorway, track or an open road. The solution? Buy a cheaper more practical car for the week and use the Ferrari on weekends when you have the freedom to enjoy it. Same applies to bikes.

I was referring specifically to the Decathlon bike for £299 mentioned by Huwy here http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-42393914/#INFO-TECH :lol:

I can only comment based on my personal experience and observation. Because it differs from your opinion doesn't make your opinion wrong or any less valid than mine my friend :)
    Glad you are happy with your £300 bike . I have just built one for about the same price and I am very happy with mine
  • http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/515-0?p=1&s=1

Have a look at the Lemond bikes £499 for the double Tiagra/Sora bike although it doesn't go into specifics.I would give them a phone and see.

One thing i will say is get yourself of to a bike shop and have a sit on a few different frames.

It will give you an idea of sizes so you'll get to know roughly what your looking for.
  • DonDaddyD
    peanut wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I was referring specifically to the Decathlon bike for £299 mentioned by Huwy here http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-2-42393914/#INFO-TECH :lol:

I can only comment based on my personal experience and observation. Because it differs from your opinion doesn't make your opinion wrong or any less valid than mine my friend :)
    Glad you are happy with your £300 bike . I have just built one for about the same price and I am very happy with mine

Fair enough, if its any consolation that Decathlon bike isn't worth it for £300 the steel fork alone on any lengthy commute would vibrate a wrists to a fine dust. Having gone from my carbon forked racer back to my CroMo forked Giant M2, I couldn't believe the difference in the amount of vibrations. In the case of the above I would pay more just for a better quality fork.
    Food Chain number = 4

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its like I said "law of diminishing returns" there is no point in spending large sums of money on a bike you could literally race if all your going to do is a 10mile+ commute.

Its like driving a Ferrari to Tesco's to do your monthly food shopping.
    I disagree. There is a reason - the pleasure. If someone only ever does a 10 mile commute but wants to appreciate the difference that's up to them. That's an hour every day where they may appreciate the difference.

It's nothing like driving a Ferrari to Tesco. A £1,000 bike will start, stop, go and park just like the cheaper one and mpg will be no different. You don't have to worry about breaking the speed limit or spinning the rear tyre just because you're on a nicer bike or anything like that. Conversely, the nicer bike will, if anything, encourage you to ride more.

I'm not saying you have to or even should buy a more expensive bike. However, two chaps from my local club have bought £1000+ carbon/Ultegra bikes and enjoyed (and been suprised at) the difference from their ageing bikes of more modest spec.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • peanut
    I think what we are saying here is a sub£300 bike is all very well if you simply must have a brand new bike and cannot afford any more but for another £100.00 you can get a very much better bike, lighter, more comfortable to ride, better quality and longer lasting components and one that should satisfy any rider starting out for at least the first year.

We are not talking about spending £1000 or even half that £500.00 although £500 will get you a very nice bike indeed.

Its just that awful gap between £300 and £400 which is so treacherous imo

Better by far to buy a £600.00 used bike for £300 if that is all you can afford . You can have the pleasure of riding a quality bike for a year and still probably get all your money back if not a profit
  • Sebring
    Sebring Posts: 2
    Go have a look at the Giant SCR3 - I bought one last Dec - a 2007 model & was amazed at the value for money - alloy frame & carbon forks & it handles like a dream.
    OK you get the cheaper end of the component market as you would expect but the gears all work sweetly. Only the chainset looks cheap.
    I also have a Giant carbon framed bike (TCR Alliance) and a Trek OCLV also an Airborne Titanium bike so I am comparing the Giant with much more expensive bikes & I love riding it!

Shop around for a bargain. Good Luck
  • peanut
    Sebring wrote:
    Go have a look at the Giant SCR3 - I bought one last Dec - a 2007 model & was amazed at the value for money - alloy frame & carbon forks & it handles like a dream.
    OK you get the cheaper end of the component market as you would expect but the gears all work sweetly. Only the chainset looks cheap.
    I also have a Giant carbon framed bike (TCR Alliance) and a Trek OCLV also an Airborne Titanium bike so I am comparing the Giant with much more expensive bikes & I love riding it!

Sebring the £300 model that we are discussing does not have carbon forks

If you could provide a link to the bike you are suggesting which offers carbon forks it would be very helpful :wink:
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    peanut wrote:
    Sebring wrote:

Sebring the £300 model that we are discussing does not have carbon forks

If you could provide a link to the bike you are suggesting which offers carbon forks it would be very helpful :wink:

The SCR3 2008 has carbon fork with mixed Sora/Tiagra gearing for around £460. You will be lucky to find any of the 2007's which are similarly specced but cheaper
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Im in a similar position and have been looking at the usual suspects in this price range, Giant SCR, Spesh Allez etc but I think i've finally decided on the Orbea Fleche, which looks stunning and is pretty well specced. Obviously i'll have changed by mind by tomorow! I also like the look of the Trek 1.5, which also looks amazing and has a mix of Sora/Tiagra but is more expensive. maybe I can find one on sale!!!
  • I completely agree with you regarding the quality difference between the £300 bike and the £400.

Think I'll be able to stretch to £400. But I've got to think about the cost of the accessories on top of that. Would like to add on some SPDs or similar and I've grown out of my shoes seeing as I bought them when i was 15. So it's all going to add up.

At the mo, I'm looking to get either an SCR3 or a Ribble.....or a 2nd hand beauty off ebay!
    ••He's NOT the messiah – he's a VERY naughty boy••
  • fuzzynavel
    I completely agree with you regarding the quality difference between the £300 bike and the £400.

Think I'll be able to stretch to £400. But I've got to think about the cost of the accessories on top of that. Would like to add on some SPDs or similar and I've grown out of my shoes seeing as I bought them when i was 15. So it's all going to add up.

At the mo, I'm looking to get either an SCR3 or a Ribble.....or a 2nd hand beauty off ebay!

Do you have to buy SPD's right at the start? you can get away with standard pedals and then upgrade when ready. There is a thread elsewhere on here where someone is looking for a £60 SPD shoe combination. I think one of the suggestions was to look at the decathlon own brand http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ .
  • 2007's

SCR2 £437

SCR3 £375

I have no experience of this shop though.

I love my SCR2! Mine was £420 last september.
    If you don't have it, you don't need it.

My 2008 LEJOG
  • fuzzynavel
    2007's

SCR2 £437

SCR3 £375

I have no experience of this shop though.

I love my SCR2! Mine was £420 last september.

Thanks choppertron,

I had actually already ssen that site but presumed that they were old pages that hadn't been updated. Guess I should do some phoning around...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2008
    Firstly I want to say that I agree that there is often a noticeable difference between a £300 bike and a £400 bike - the carbon fork does make a difference.

My comment on the law of diminishing returns was in reference to spending large amounts on a bike (more than £400) with a 105 - Ultegra groupset when your only using the bike for a 10mile commute. There is no need to spend that much - but more accurately; there is no need to buy such a high spec. Does the extra cost of buying a really expensive bike justify its expense when the goal - cycling for 10miles comfortably - has already been achieved with a bike costing around £400?

People in this thread were also saying not to buy Sora or 2200 groupsets and that you couldn't find a decent bike - to commute 10miles - for £300. I also disagree I ride 12 miles a day with a Sora groupset and do just fine. But again each to their own opinion (and all that).

The Law of Diminishing Returns also encompasses the difference in quality between a £300 and £400 bike.

That said, last week I bought a Giant SCR 3 (was going to buy the SCR 2 but they didn't have my size) for £370 from this site:

Dever Cycles

And love every moment riding it.

DeVer are legit and really good at what they do and are selling the bikes off cheap to clear stock. They also claim that next years bikes are going to be more expensive and they'll have less movement on discounts.

I paid £30 for my helmet - though speaking to a Doctor Bike today said there was no point wearing one beyond 12mph. I will continue to wear mine though.

Also bought these pedals: Shimano 105

And these shoes: Shimano SPD-SL road shoes

Aside from the bike I'm happy with the pedals and shoes I think I made the biggest savings there as the two both together cost me about £75 (from Ribble, which I received next day at no extra cost) and in Evans the pedals cost about £40 and the shoes about £60 - £70.

All in all I spent about £475 for the bike and accessories.

Good luck with your bike search.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sebring
    Sebring Posts: 2
    The heading said a £400 budget - The Giant SCR3 I bought was a 2007 model that Wiggle UK were selling for £380 after the new 2008 bikes were introduced.

Alloy frame - carbon forks etc.
    That was the price delivered UK mainland - it even included a pedal spanner.
    The chainset is the only item that looks cheap - the saddle would be fine for a top range racing bike. The tyres soon looked past their best so I changed them to my favorite Continental tyres which never seem to puncture.