Raleigh 400

Boxster
Boxster Posts: 14
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience of the Raleigh 400? I currently ride a Cannondale mtb and would like to move to a road bike. My local dealer has Dawes and Raleigh and I am looking for something to help me build up to shorter sportives or audaxes. I'm 55 and in good health! The delaer showed me a Dawes Audax Sport but also said that lots of guys are buying Raleigh now. I've looked for a test on the Raleigh 400 but found nothing.

Can anybody out there help

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Dawes has a Reynolds steel frame, the Raleigh an aluminium one. Some of us believe a steel frame is more comfortable and so it might be better for audaxes and the "older" rider (sorry). Audax bikes are traditionally made of steel. It is likely to weigh a little more than the Raleigh. The Raleigh has slightly better equipment, most notable the shifters. Both have mudguard clearance, the Dawes has mudguards fitted (worth about £25). The Dawes probably has a more relaxed geometry (better suited to more comfort on long rides?). The Dawes has a steel fork, also traditional for Audax bikes, the Raleigh has carbon. I'm sorry I don't know of any reviews.
  • Boxster
    Thanks Alfablue for your thoughts - much appreciated.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    have a look on the Raleigh site

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/index.aspx
  • Boxster
    Thanks Bellys. I've looked but it gives little info. What I'm really seeking is either a test report or a personal view by somebody who's ridden one or owns one, and who knows a little more than me about it.

Dawes bikes are well reported but it seems difficult to find unbiased info on the Raleigh 400.
  • alfablue
    I think that you may have trouble finding reviews, they probably sell in fewer numbers compared to the more mainstream brands.

To be honest, I don't expect there would be any nasty surprises with it, the components are mainstream and Tiagra is good on a sub £500 bike (most would be Sora at under £600), so the quality of the bike will really depend on the frame (probably fine) and the quality of the build (really down to the shop). The frame will be built in the far east probably by a manufacturer that also makes frames for other big name mainstream brands, so quality should be fine, it will only differ in terms of the tubes specified and the geometry, both of which I would expect to be pretty much standard for this type and price of bike.

I think you should get to ride both and see which one feels best to you, I am sure they will feel quite different and which you like best will be entirely personal, and to some extent on what you are used to riding. I would probably tend to go for the (potentially) more relaxed ride of the Dawes but if I tried them out side by side I might actually prefer the (potentially) more lively feel of the Raleigh.
  • Boxster
    Thanks again Alfablue, your comments are really helpful. The dealer is local to me (York) and was recommended by a friend. I now know more about the bikes so I'll go back for a more detailed chat and seek test rides.

As I said previously, I have been riding a Cannondale mtb for years and last year changed tyres from full knobblies to those with a slick band down the centre, for road use. The change was amazing and meant that road riding became much quicker. I'd now like to try building up to shorter sportive-type events. I spectated at the Ryedale Rumble recently and was impressed by the wide span of opportunities for riders of different levels.

Thanks again for your help.
  • alfablue
    I wonder if that is Cycle Heaven - looks like a good shop.

Sorry to throw another spanner in the works, but as you are coming from an MTB maybe consider a bike with a triple chainset so you have some very low ratios for the hills. This is a very controversial subject, some say a compact is enough for anyone (50 /34 like on these bikes) others say go triple unless you are a strong rider (52 / 39 / 30 or similar). A triple may cost perhaps £25-£35 more compared to a similar bike with a compact. (n.b. "normal" road doubles are usually something like 52/39).
  • Boxster
    No, it's cycle Scene run by John.

I thought about the triple chainset and noticed that Dave Yates's site suggests 48-40-28 but John said a compact might suit me. Whatever, I 'll try as much as possible, certainly the mtb triple makes steeper hills doable.