Suviving the Alps and a broken thumb....

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Not mine.

Thanks for all the posts before I went - and i'm glad to say that I had a FABULOUS time :D My riding has improved massively and I rode some trails that a week ago I didn't think I could do in a million years....

Sadly it didn't go quite so swimmingly for my other half who managed to break his thumb on the first day :cry: He was then flown back to the UK early for an op to pin it all back together, and I was left to get on with it! Hey ho. He'll be off the bike (again :( ) for at least a month, but I am determined to keep at it so that I can give him a run for his money when he's back :wink:

Hey ho!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hey sarah.....

your hubby always seems to be causing himself malaise on his bike! I am pretty sure I have seen other posts of yours talking about his injuries.....

glad you had a good time in france
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • miss notax
    Yep, that was him! He rode head and arm first into a tree in February... :?

I would honestly recommend anyone to ride out there - the trails are amazing. We were based in Verbier and it was stunning. Everyone thought I was a little mad going out there, having only just started riding in December last year though!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    For the love of god, are there no lengths this man will stop at to ensure you don't beat him down the trail!! :lol:

Hope he makes a swift and full recovery (again!) and glad you had a great time.
  • miss notax
    batch78 wrote:
    For the love of god, are there no lengths this man will stop at to ensure you don't beat him down the trail!! :lol:

Hope he makes a swift and full recovery (again!) and glad you had a great time.

He he he :lol:

Thanks! I really would recommend the company Bike Verbier to everyone - great people, completely professional and passionate about mtbing (and fabulous food!) :D

• cee
    Hey sarah....

So did you get a package from Bike Verbier that included accomodation etc?

More details about what you got for your hard-earned would be appreciated!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • miss notax
    cee wrote:
    Hey sarah....

So did you get a package from Bike Verbier that included accomodation etc?

More details about what you got for your hard-earned would be appreciated!

With pleasure...

Website here http://www.bikeverbier.com/index_bv.php

We went as a group of 12 so we had the whole chalet to ourselves (although they do accept smaller bookings or individuals). I think we paid about £500 each for the week (excluding flights, but they were quite cheap) which included accomodation, really great food and mtbing guides. The only extras were dinner for one night, and the lift passes.

All the guides were really lovely people who totally listened to what you were saying and took you on suitable trails - ie pushing you without completely terrifying you! My other half has used them before and remains very impressed :D

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Always like to hear about other people's biking holidays (though not always their injuries, ouch!).

How would you describe the riding you were taken on? Considering a trip to Alps next year, but bit concerned it might be all jumpy jumpy constructed trails.

Have I got the wrong impression? How much of it was natural singletrack? Was there much pedally stuff (ie. not completely brakes-jammed-on steep downhills)?
  • miss notax
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    Always like to hear about other people's biking holidays (though not always their injuries, ouch!).

How would you describe the riding you were taken on? Considering a trip to Alps next year, but bit concerned it might be all jumpy jumpy constructed trails.

Have I got the wrong impression? How much of it was natural singletrack? Was there much pedally stuff (ie. not completely brakes-jammed-on steep downhills)?

Hmmm, i'm probably not the best person to ask as i've only been riding for about 9 months and generally no idea what i'm riding over!! There is definitely something for everyone though, and I managed the whole week without any manic jumpy trails (although they are there if that's what you're after). There were some stunning singletrack trails and some amazing rides through a forest which were bizarrely more like an extreme version of Afan or something! My favourite was actually a man made trail which I did a few times - the first day I managed about 70% of it (getting off to walk the technical switchbacks), and by the end of the trip I rode the whole thing quickly (for me!) without putting my foot down :D A really fab sense of achievement.

The scenery is just stunning and whilst I readily admit i'm not the most experienced mtb'er, I would definitely go back in a flash. I know the boys would too, and they're all very good riders and picky buggers!

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    That was a speedy reply!

Sounds really good from what you describe. A beginner's opinion is just as valuable as a more experienced MTBer anyway - and sometimes more telling as you're probably less likely to lapse into biking cliches.

Definitely on my shortlist now, especially since you say the food is good.
  • miss notax
    Ah yes, the joys of a slow morning in the office :wink:

The food was excellent - easily very good pub / restaurant standard (and lots of it). If you speak to Lucy, the lady who runs it with her partner Phil, say that you've been recommended by Chris and Sarah (the bloke who broke his thumb on the first day!)!!

I genuinely didn't know what to expect and was really worried that the riding would all be too much for me to handle, but was very pleasantly surprised. I was never made to feel that I was too slow or rubbish, and have come out of it a much better more confident rider.

And i'm a really fussy cow who doesn't often make recommendations!!

• cee
    that sounds really good sarah, thanks for the extra info.

H.G. Wells.