Cadence sensor?

cosmaboy
cosmaboy Posts: 89
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
hi,

I keep hearing about Cadence this Cadence that, i was just wondering if someone can give me a brief description of what it is and what it does?

I am assuming it goes on your bike and read's something or other...

if you have a computer that reads speed and distance, do you need a cadence sensor?

ta

Comments

• The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Cadence is the rotational speed (in RMP) of the pedals. You can not fit a cadence sensor to any old computer. You need to get one that has a cadence input. The reason for having one is that you can monitor the pedalling speed and get the most efficient speed for the terrain you are cycling in.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • cosmaboy
    cosmaboy Posts: 89
    was thinking of getting the Garmin 705 with maps and all.

and you can buy that with a cadence sensor, was just wondering whether its worth it.

i recently bought a road bike and am doing 50 miles on a saturday or sunday and taking part in sponsored rides and am just wondering whether to get into the technical side and finding out what and where i need to improve and it sounds like using the cadence would enable you to do that?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The reason for having one is that you can monitor the pedalling speed and get the most efficient speed for the terrain you are cycling in.

Cadence is misleading - there is no "best cadence". You will feel more comfortable at certain cadences but you don't need a computer for that.

I use cadence on my two best bikes because I'm trying to get used to pedalling a higher cadence so that it takes longer for me to spin out on descents.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr