MTB on Arran

GMARS70970
GMARS70970 Posts: 71
edited December 2008 in MTB rides
Has anyone been to try the trails on Arran?

Just looking for some directions & the best routes. Cheers :)

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Did the forest path marked on OS as cycle route (Lamlash to Kilmory). Typical fire break roads with superb views on a good day out to the sea. It was basically a giant climb followed by an equally giant downhill. There are tighter, more technical routes nearer Brodick. These are detailed on the local bike club's site. www.arranbikeclub.com
  • Cheers Woodywmb,
    Went to Arran today & cycled the black route on the arran bike club web site. Was a good day. Not easily sign posted, but well worth the journey. Would definately return for another trip.
    If you like natural single track with some big climbs and nice descents, then Arran is the place!!! :D:D
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    Go there every year for 2 weeks, done a few rides with the local bike club, all really friendly. There's plenty of trails when you're shown them... There's the standard "blue" loop around Brodick castle, which is actually quite fun and worth a quick blast or two. The new site lists the new routes though, and if you can find a copy of the old map there are many more suggested routes avaliable.

If you fancy a nice smooth and long singletrack climb/decent that isnt on any maps...the man made paths to the King's Caves on the south west of the island are great, they offer a good climb and then a very nice long, route back down to the car park. It's not 100% rideable in a loop but you can pop up either way from the car park and then just turn around when you reach the cliffs. (the right hand side offers a more technical route)

There's also plenty of trails around the Glen Ashdale falls and surrounding forest...if you pop into the Arran Adventure shop in Brodick (which changes every year :S) i'm pretty sure most of the staff there are in the club and will help you out!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    My mum had friend who used to live at Whiting Bay, so I got to go to Arran several times for holidays, what an excellent place!

I remember taking my bike one year (about 1989 I think it was), an old Giant Sierra, with the latest Deore 18 speed groupset! I have photo of the bike about 2/3rds of the way up Goat Fell from Glen Rosa. I'd intended to do the Goat Fell - Cir Mhor horseshoe by bike but I had to turn back because of the weather.

Happy days!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Bike Bloke
    Bike Bloke Posts: 172
    dave_hill wrote:
    My mum had friend who used to live at Whiting Bay, so I got to go to Arran several times for holidays, what an excellent place!

I remember taking my bike one year (about 1989 I think it was), an old Giant Sierra, with the latest Deore 18 speed groupset! I have photo of the bike about 2/3rds of the way up Goat Fell from Glen Rosa. I'd intended to do the Goat Fell - Cir Mhor horseshoe by bike but I had to turn back because of the weather.

Happy days!

I'd be extremely impressed if you'd managed that...
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Bike Bloke wrote:
    I'd be extremely impressed if you'd managed that...

So would I - I've walked it since and realised that youthful exuberance has a lot to answer for...!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • How much of the Glen Rosa track is bikeable? What about in these winter conditions?

I'm thinking of heading over to Arran soon and fancy heading that way if possible.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Don't know but Memory Map shows the drop from The Saddle to Glen Sannox to be near vertical - 900ft in half a mile. Let us know if you go!
  • I've looked at some photos and definitely won't be taking on the saddle!

Not bikeable, that's for sure. But I could do and out and back trip along with some other diversions thrown in.