I pay my bloody road tax

Craigbes
Craigbes Posts: 74
edited August 2008 in Campaign
How many times have you heard this? The other day going to work, white van man comes screaming towards me. "You wanna get some lights on" he screams. (it was daylight). When I pointed out that he didn't have lights on he started on the usual " I pay my bloody road tax" jargon. I informed him that I also drove a car & pay road tax. I also pointed out that a bicycle is a zero emmision mode of transport & as such, doesn't need to pay road tax. Guess the response? F*#K off, before speeding off in a plume of tire smoke. Oh how I enjoyed that one 8)

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    No one pays road tax. You pay vehicle excise duty...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Craigbes wrote:
    How many times have you heard this? The other day going to work, white van man comes screaming towards me. "You wanna get some lights on" he screams. (it was daylight). When I pointed out that he didn't have lights on he started on the usual " I pay my bloody road tax" jargon. I informed him that I also drove a car & pay road tax. I also pointed out that a bicycle is a zero emmision mode of transport & as such, doesn't need to pay road tax. Guess the response? F*#K off, before speeding off in a plume of tire smoke. Oh how I enjoyed that one 8)

Following the I pay Road Tax argument, those with a firearms licence should be able to shoot anyone they like?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    my response is usually something along the lines of:

"you know what, im a student and dont pay council tax either. GET IT UP YEE!!"
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Jez mon wrote:
    ...for which bicycles are exempt.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I have found myself making a formal complaint to the BBC over this. They have printed several comments from people online and read out on air that have either been along similar lines, or have been full of myth about cycles and taxes. :?

If you're gonna print myth you should be aware of the consequences. :P
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Parsnip49 wrote:
    my response is usually something along the lines of:

"you know what, im a student and dont pay council tax either. GET IT UP YEE!!"

Great comeback! :lol:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Until the rates for some post-2002 vehicles went up, I having a vehicle classed as >1300cc PLG as well as exempt ones could easily have out priced most car drivers on that argument.
    But I've never got into that argument before.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    ...because the wear and tear of a bicycle on the road surface is such that cyclists should contribute toward their repair.

Oh go on then, here's a penny.
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • downfader
    Parkey wrote:
    ...because the wear and tear of a bicycle on the road surface is such that cyclists should contribute toward their repair.

Oh go on then, here's a penny.

No. we're owed a rebate! :wink:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    As we all know, most cyclists own cars that are sat on the drive - it costs me about 10p per mile in VED each time I use my car.......FFS - used at weekends only - £170 for a year (reasonable emissions) ! So in VED I am actually paying loads more then them :D

Anyone who starts on me will get an ear full !!!
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    exactly right Fossy you got there before me.
    Had the exact same argument th other day. When the guy thought about it he went oh yeah.....
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Jez mon wrote:

One car advert (Daihatsu) doing the rounds on TV at present insists on referring to it as a Road Fund Licence - I thought VED hadn't technically been classed as that since the mid-30s. Maybe they're trying to placate embittered Daily Mail-reading motorists and/or fat, poodle-haired Top Gear presenters who seem to think they've paid for the right to use the road as they like?

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • downfader
    Jez mon wrote:

One car advert (Daihatsu) doing the rounds on TV at present insists on referring to it as a Road Fund Licence - I thought VED hadn't technically been classed as that since the mid-30s. Maybe they're trying to placate embittered Daily Mail-reading motorists and/or fat, poodle-haired Top Gear presenters who seem to think they've paid for the right to use the road as they like?

David

Come on, I know Clarkson acts like a plank but I still think he's pretty cool. Hammond on the otherhand... is there anything he wont crash? :lol:
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    Jez mon wrote:

David

You were doing well there till the Clarkson bashing - the man is a legend, and hopefully will be PM within a few years.
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    I'm with you there, Clarkson is pretty much untouchable.

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra