Drain covers...is it a conspiracy!?

toshmund
toshmund Posts: 390
edited August 2008 in Campaign
As if cycle lanes are not dangerous enough. What with the utility companies leaving shoddy road surfaces after laying new ducting - which tend to turn into a "trench", needing almost a bunny hop to get out of. Manhole covers/white painted road markings on the apex of bends, diesel spills, none of which are good fun in the wet. I have always steered clear of riding right in the gutter, or over drains, what with the wear and tear on the wheels. Seems to be a lot more prevalent now of people either stealing them for the scrap metal value, or lifting them out to be a bit "funny". Little tinkers...

The new danger...

There must be some government legislation, they seem to have legislated everything else in this country!? Is there a standard size gap, for the size of the slot in a drain. Some of the ones where I regularly cycle, 11/2 inches in width and about 15-18 inches long. Hit that slot with your front wheel - not clever! Although, some of them have also sunk like the ducting - you might have to drop about 6 inches to get to the drain in the first place. Why don't they just raise the ante even more - just have cattle grids that run parallel with the road.

Always good of Kevin in his souped up 1.2 Corsa, to give you room though...

Anyone had any incidents with a drain cover? Would the local council be liable? Could have found a niche' market here for Claims Direct!? Could get Carole Vorderman for the advert as well...Not cheap though!

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    dont ride in the gutter and you wont have any problems with drains :idea:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • fast as fupp
    bah!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Don't see what the problem is, never had a problem with slotted draincovers on my mountain bike. Maybe thicker tyres?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • toshmund
    redvee wrote:
    Don't see what the problem is, never had a problem with slotted draincovers on my mountain bike. Maybe thicker tyres?

Maybe I am missing the point then...Tend to use my mountain bike off-road and on trails, and my roadbike on roads - because "it does what it says on the tin" so to speak. I am so glad I found this forum, am learning the errors of my ways already!
  • fast as fupp
    the point is you shouldnt ride in the gutter- its got nothing to do with your tyres!
  • toshmund
    I do try not to ride in the gutter. Although sometimes, in the Peak District especially. The road can be that narrow, pretty difficult to avoid hitting the ironworks - unless you are prepared to sit in the middle of the lane/road, which on a national speed limit white road is sometimes not really logical/safe. Blind bends/summits, I am not exactly cycling in the ditch - quite often the grate can come out upto 18" in the road anyway.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    drain covers, we've had issues with this down here. One was so badly damaged that cars were ocassionally getting stuck at an angle. I had noticed it, noted it down and then forgoten while I went on annual leave. I finally reported it (about 3 weeks later) and got the message back from the council that none of the drivers had bothered reporting. :?

Is it only we cyclists who report road problems now? One of the lads at work refuses to incase the "increase my road tax" :roll:

We've had a few manhole covers stolen down here too.