Focus Bikes

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Looking to buy a Focus from Wiggle. Anyone have experience of buying a Focus from them? Also is their Sizing details about right? Im 6ft 3 and a 34/35 inside leg so the chart says i am a XXL/60. Does this seem about right? Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• I have a 2007 Focus Cayo Triple and i too am 6'3". I have the XXL60 and it fits perfectly. Delighted with it only wish i'd got the double. Great value, get one.
  • Great bikes. Service great. Their sizing suggested a 54cm frame for me and it is bang on (5' 9").
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    bought a Cayo about a month ago - had to get the LBS to tweak the gears as it was shifting really roughly but once that was done it's been just peachy.

sizing wise 54cm frame is fine for me (5'8", 30/31 inside leg) Go with their sizing...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • I bought a 07 Cayo last september went for a XL/58 compact I'm 6'2" fits me fine.
  • I bought a Cayo Expert Campag about a month ago and it arrived within 2 days of ordering and has been perfect. I am 6ft and have a 56 frame and is spot on.

Always had excellent service from Wiggle.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Damn! I was hoping for more "support your local bike shop posts" by now. :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have a XL/58 and I'm 6 foot with a 34 inside leg and it's a teeeeny bit big for me.
  • WatfordKev
    WatfordKev Posts: 120
    Bought my Focus Variado 2006 about 2 years back. Have not done as much on it as I wanted, but have done about 1000 miles with no problems from the bike whatsoever. There were a few quibbles over the delivery, but once it arrived it was set up great. It's been a great value acquisition
    Have a good time. All the time.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Got a Variado end of last year in XS amd used it for everything without any problems
  • Damn! I was hoping for more "support your local bike shop posts" by now. :D

Here you go then. Not a lot of Carbon Fibre in them. Would not put my leg over a C/F frame that would retail for about £400.

You can't try one out and your LBS will back you with support on a bike he reccomends much better than a bike in boxes warehouse.

Support your local guy and he will be there for you.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    biondino wrote:
    I have a XL/58 and I'm 6 foot with a 34 inside leg and it's a teeeeny bit big for me.

You seem similar size to me, do you think the 56 would have been ideal then, cheers
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Got a 56cm focus cayo, and I'm 6ft fits very well.

Although to get a racier position I've lowered the handlebars to the lowest setting, flipped the stem and may well get a longer stem. But I'm fairly flexible and like an aggressive position, so I'd go with their recommendations!

Great service from wiggle, had a flaw on my 1st bike and 3 days after e-mailing I had a new bike all set up in my living room. Thats probably quicker than most bike shops could do!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Can i ask a favour from one of you cayo owners?

What is the height from the top tube to the ground on the XL58 Frame?

Also what is the height from the centre to the ground?

I am going to get one of these next year when the new range's come out and just want to be sure of the sizing. I hope to go to the London Cycle show in October and head straight to the wiggle stand :D

New bike or summer holiday??? NEW BIKE!!!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    WatfordKev wrote:
    Bought my Focus Variado 2006 about 2 years back. Have not done as much on it as I wanted, but have done about 1000 miles with no problems from the bike whatsoever. It's been a great value acquisition

+1 Great bike. I emailed them with my inside leg torso and reach measurements so they sized me pretty well.
  • oxymoron
    oxymoron Posts: 54
    think im gonna pull the trigger on the focus variado 2008 (might wait a month and see if price drops)

Final question, can it take panniers and mudgaurds?

Sorry for thread hiack!
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Not on the Variado, there are no mudguard holes in the frame although I believe raceblades would be ok..
  • Damn! I was hoping for more "support your local bike shop posts" by now. :D

Here you go then. Not a lot of Carbon Fibre in them. Would not put my leg over a C/F frame that would retail for about £400.

You can't try one out and your LBS will back you with support on a bike he reccomends much better than a bike in boxes warehouse.

Support your local guy and he will be there for you.

eh? What does "not a lot of CF in them mean? and on what basis can yoiu make that claim?

You can try one out, you have 14 days to test it, and retur it if you don't like it. Try borrowing a bike from an LBS to do that. Some you can of course, if you know each other well.

Another vote here for a 2006 Cayo Expert (that appears to have sufficient carbon impreganted in the epoxy bonding material, since it aint broke despite some brutal 15.5 stone treatment :wink: )