Help, advise needed

fizz
fizz Posts: 483
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I'd say that looks pretty good, nothing wrong with it spec wise. Its just down to whether you like it or not.

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    djbarren wrote:
    From what i can gather the frame is made by a very good company, the only worry i have is as it is made from steel will it rust if it got scratched an then got wet?

going to see one tomorrow afternoon, so we shall see.

Don't know how it would get scratched, but Humbrol paints (think airfix kits) would cover up any easily enough.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Many of us have run steel bikes for many many years with no problem. Obviously the quality and thickness of the paint has a bearing, and also some steels rust more readily than others. Reynolds 853 was until very recently the top quality steel bike tube available from Reynolds (they make the tubes, but don't assemble frames), and Reynolds is probably the foremost steel cycle tube manufacturer.

I have a Reynolds 531c framed bike (Dawes Audax) in it's 11th years, not a spot of rust in sight.

You can get a product called "frame saver" which you put inside the frame (it is some sort of wax or oil procuct) if you want to ensure maximum life, if you are really worried. Chances are the frame will last 20 years or more!

I would love a bike with an 853 frame! You should have no worries.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hey, well done dj, it looks like a beauty!