Bikes on the railway

whitecf
whitecf Posts: 2
edited August 2008 in Road general
First of all I'm not actually a cyclist but I'm posting here after following a link from <http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html>.

For my sins I'll confess my hobby is playing with toy trains. The reason I ended up following the link is that a few days ago I was watching an old British Transport Films production called 'Cyclists Special' made in 1955. The subject of this was a special train that took a, very large, group of cyclists from London to Rugby in order to spend the day riding around Warwickshire.

I must say that even as a non cyclist it looked like a great way to spend a day but somehow I don't think these days you could get the same freedom to roam around in large packs with barely a car in sight.

Anyway my interest was in the train which had a number of dedicated bicycle transport vans attached. The narration said these came from normal use in the ferry services. There was only a brief glimpse of these and I no longer have access to the film. I've never seen such a train modelled and would love to do so. Consequently I was hoping somebody from this forum could help me find more details and images for the vans.

Many thanks.

Comments