Bedfordshire Groups & Routes for Beginners

ampthillmountainbikers.bl
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I'm trying to find a good group of beginner level riders to join or point out routes areound Bedfordshire. I would also like to now your thoughts on a decent bike shop for advise, instead of just selling the latest bike for £1000+

Thanks
www.ampthillmountainbikers.blogspot.com
:D

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    How strange - Im in Ampthill !!

For bike shops try Evans in MK snodome - i have never had a problem with them and reasonable prices. Staff listen to what you want - tell them your bugget and what you are looking for. I went in on a weekend and still they had time to spend nearly an hour going through different bikes / specs etc with me. They will price match goods to internet e.g. CRC) as well (sometimes have to ask manager not checkouts).

I am beginner / intermediate level i guess. Have ridden trails at chicksands,cannock,woburn and got on fine. Any chance you could you PM me more info about your rides / routes etc

Cheers :-)
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Hi,

Thanks for that, I’ve heard Phil’s Cycles in MK is supposed to be quite good, have you been there?

My neighbour and I have set up a blog to get people to put routes and comments on, its www.ampthillmountainbikers.blogspot.com

Hopefully it will allow everyone like us to communicate to go out on a ride whenever we feel like it without the committing to go out every Thursday at 6:30pm

How do I send my PM?

:)
  • nonnac85
    Have heard Phil's is good but have not been as I just use Evans!

At the bottom of everyones messages there is a PM icon. Just click on it to write a PM. It looks like this:

icon_pm.gif

Do you ride trail centres / make own routes / both?
  • Hi

I'm not in Ampthill but am in Bedfordshire over the Sandy way. Rowney is good for beginners and intermediates alike. I quite often see people over near Stockgrove Country Park too, although I've never cycled from there.

As for Phil Corley Cycles, its a great place. Friendly staff and their stuff is a little more reasonably priced than Evans, especially on accessories. They also offer finance on bikes over a certain price. Worth a look.

Stu
    EX8 Rules
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Phil Corley Cycles is OK - bit cheaper than Evans I think and a good range of stuff - including all the little spares that Evans don't seem to hold (or some of the staff don't seem to know about!). Corley sometimes has special events on too - displaying the whole range of bikes and bling from variuos manufacturers - last time I went they had a damn good sale on at the same time :wink:
    Some people rate Pinks in Newport Pagnell as well - good for bargain parts/end of ranges and obscure spares apparently.
  • nonnac85
    There are some routes on the BikeHike website if you click on Find Route and then type Ampthill into the box that comes up.
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Just noticed that Phil Corley has a sale from tomorrow (29th Nov) which might be worth a look!
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    what a stroke of luck im a beginner with a crap bike and very unfit and i live in mk.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1