Would I regret getting a flatbar road bike?

Phixion
Phixion Posts: 81
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
OK here's the deal.

I originally decided on a Specialized Allez Sport, my LBS has built the bike and I can pick it up whenever I can get down there.

I want to be able to ride it for fitness and if I manage to get into it heavily - take it to long rides/races arranged in my area.

The problem I'm having is I have minor back issues, I was diagnosed with a 'slight' curvature of the spine when I was younger and since then I think it's gotten worse as I get pain after standing for a long time.

Anyway the point is, I was considering getting a Specialized Sirrus Elite instead with flat handlebars - I'm guessing it would be more comfortable to ride but I fear I'll regret not getting the Allez Sport which has drops - I know you have multiple hand positions on drop bar bikes but doesn't your back end up in a more aggresive position (sloped more)?

Input would be highly appreciated, I've been racking my brain for the last few days trying to make my mind up. Would a bike with drops be much different to a flat bar bike (if using the hoods)? I've read of people getting numb hands etc using drops, I know it's all down to being fitted but how will I know I won't get similar issues? Testing the bike for a few minutes won't tell me whether I'll encounter such problems in the future.

Cheers

Comments

• Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    You can always change the bars later if you find them to be a problem.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Basically, yes, over time you would regret having a flat bar road bike.
    The Allez is not a very aggressive bike as far as riding position, you can have the stem flipped upwards or shorter or even an adjustable one to find a position that suits you.
    Most of the time you would ride on the top of the bars anyway so you will not be bending over that much.
    Your hands will ache a bit until you get used to the drop bars but then it will be fine.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Slimbods wrote:
    You can always change the bars later if you find them to be a problem.

Sirrus brakes (at least on my Sirrus) aren't the same as for a road bike, you'd be changing over more than just the bars I think?

When I moved over to Cork I went out with the local club the first few times on my Sirrus, bit of work to keep up but then I had been more used to a 20km daily commute/100km a week, not going off and doing 80km in a morning's ride, and I'd been off the bike for a month.

I don't think a Sirrus is a problem, ultimately if you have back problems then that is going to be more of a limiting factor in your riding that the bar position, you should go with what makes you comfortable over a distance if that is the kind of riding you'll be doing.

Of course the only way to find out practically is to take either type of bike out for a couple of hours of riding. Know anyone you can borrow a bike from? Won't of course be a garanteed way of finding out, until I put a super short stem on my road bikes (60cm) I was getting back pain after a couple of hours riding.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    With the right stem length and angle, the right bar position, and the right size frame I expect you could emulate the same position as a Sirus on the Allez. Personally I find riding my flat bar bike is tiring on my wrists, it is an unnatural position (if you hang your arms by your sides your palms (probably) face your legs, rather than pointing backwards, so to me the drop bars emulate the natural position).
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    drops i reckon.

My back is pretty fkd ( curvature problem plus other injuries.) I find that the range of positions helps for me. Also I ride most of my shorter rides with the stem usual way but flip it for longer 4 hr +rides, which means the load on my back comes off a fair bit- particularly on steep hills where its noticed most

I find that regular cross training benefits me significantly- particularly swimming.
    I normally swim a few miles every week but have not had time the last few months and have noticed that my back is far worse for the reduced strength
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    No you wouldn't.

I've been riding flat bar road bikes for about 5 years because my neck and shoulders make using the lower position on drops very painful. On drops I found I was always riding on the tops except on long descents when I needed to use the brakes most effectively. It made long downhills a misery. I converted our tandem longer ago as I was getting more problems with the heavier machine.

I've easily been able to simulate the 'on the tops' position with flats and the climbing on the leverhoods position with bar ends. My flat bars are very narrow. I find them much more comfortable than drops and the ATB gear change levers are fast and certain.

I liked and preferred drop bars for all my touring, audax and commuting for years. I'd continue using them if didn't have physical problems but flat bars allow me to continue cycling and that's a big plus.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Beardy10
    Beardy10 Posts: 115
    Drops and make sure you buy the bike from somewhere that can set it up properly. A high percentage of people have bikes that are set up way too agressively for the riding they do.

I don't know this but my guess is that people who get numb hands have a weak core so they are taking too much of their weight on their hands.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    alfablue wrote:
    With the right stem length and angle, the right bar position, and the right size frame I expect you could emulate the same position as a Sirus on the Allez. Personally I find riding my flat bar bike is tiring on my wrists, it is an unnatural position (if you hang your arms by your sides your palms (probably) face your legs, rather than pointing backwards, so to me the drop bars emulate the natural position).

From memory I found the flat bar the same. Great control for riding around a town, but the amount of vibration was high. I seem to notice it less on the dropped bars, whether on top on down.

A further downside with flat bars is the lack of alternative positions for the hands, you've basically got one and thats it. Drop bars maybe 3 positions on the top and 2 on the drops, with so much more bar to hold you can vary a bit.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Don't rule drop bars out.
    I'd aim at getting the drops up a bit.

You can do this several ways:
    -Flip the stem
    -Don't cut so much off the fork
    -Make sure you get a handlebar with SHALLOW drops.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Don't rule drop bars out.
    I'd aim at getting the drops up a bit.

You can do this several ways:
    -Flip the stem
    -Don't cut so much off the fork
    -Make sure you get a handlebar with SHALLOW drops.

(I never used to use the drops much until I bought a bio-morphe bar :) )
  • Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    Thanks for all the replys guys!

I'll go on monday to the bike shop and try them out, I'll probably leave there with whichever a choose.

I'm leaning more towards the drops (excuse the pun) as I want to be able to compete when I get fitter :)

The Allez Sport has quite an upright riding position so I may be ok.
  • beakyboy
    beakyboy Posts: 38
    Both me and my brother in law have bad backs. I ride with drops and find the different hand positions great, I flipped my stem upwards too. Because i can alternate my hand positions cycling actually helps relieve my back problems. There are some days I can barely walk but after 10 miles on the bike, I'm able to move a lot more freely.

My brother in law rides a flat bar racer and has extended his handle bar stem by about 4 inches, it looks a bit weird but he says it helps him.

The only problem I can see is because there is only one position on the flat bar, you get numb hands during a long ride and may find your back suffers more because you're in the same position for so long.
    May the wind always be at your rear!
  • I got a Giant FCR (flat bar) as a 'stablemate' for my SCR2 and hated it
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    Can't comment on the back problem, but I have a flat-bar roadie and I love it - inexpensive, light, fast, triple for hills, and nice upright position for commuting.

And yet - when I see roadies with drops, I can't help thinking I maybe missed out :?