Giant MPH disc brakes manual?

k-dog
k-dog Posts: 1,652
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My dad just got a new GIant MTB and it came with these disc brakes - but no manual or anything and I can't find it on the Giant website.

Does anyone have the instructions?

The pads at the back are rubbing. They might just be the self adjusting type that other brands use but I haven't had a look yet. Was hoping to have some instructions before I start

It's a Giant Rainier - the catalogue says the brakes are the MPH Root.

Thanks.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look at hopes C2 brakes as they are basically the same.

But new bike ask the shop where the brakes manual is or get them to ecplain how to sort them.

also have a look over the brake pages on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I've got the MPH Root on my XtC 4.5 and they are self adjusting except for centring the disc in the calliper - so I assume that this is the problem that you have. To sort that, simply slacken the two 5mm (IIRC) Allen bolts so that the calliper is loose, pull hard on the brake lever and (while holding the brake on) re-tighten them. This is what the manual says (again IIRC) and it works OK, though I find that the tightening moves the calliper slightly so the disc still isn't quite centred - so I tend to fiddle a bit to get it a bit better. Once it's done, though, it seems to remain done - at least in my experience.

HTH,

_
  • k-dog
    Thanks, I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

I did have a look at ParkTool.com but they didn't list the Giant type and I wasn're sure what was similar.

I suspected that they were self centering so that looks like the likely culprit.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if they are the Root then they look just like the diatec sports.

bddc-anc-sp-w-b.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • k-dog
    Thanks, managed to work it out last night.

I tried the centering thing but it didn't make much difference. I was removing the wheels anyway to change the tyres so I tried to get the back one out and it was a real struggle.

Took me a few minutes to notice the Topeak rack (which they had installed) was really tight and this was squeezing the chainstays a little. I backed off the bolts and the brake was fine.
  • norm360
    norm360 Posts: 2