A campaign

eternal_headwind
eternal_headwind Posts: 222
edited August 2008 in Campaign
I suppose asking people to help campaign in a forum listed as 'campaign' might be a good place to start. How much positive media coverage do cyclists get? How many initiatives are actually aimed at the wider non-cycling public. Athough there are things like the bike to work week the answer is, I think, far too few. Next time you pass a billboard you are far more likely to see a car advert han a bike advert.

So here is a thought. The fact that you are reading this advert means that yu are sat at a computer. Your computer may well ave some form of image manipulation software. You can now therefore design a poster.

If we were to design posters, submit them to this forum for checking and impact etc, then choose acceptable ones to form an online free to use library.

Cyclists could then print off a few, if they were willing, to put up in places such as workplaces, bike shop windows, other shop windows and so on.

We woud have to ensure they posters were displayed properly (no fly posting) and were not subject to other copyrights.

Is this a good idea? and would you be willing to help design a poster?

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I was thinking the same thing... The car ads look great and sexy, but how often do car driver ACTUALLY get to drive down a road with no other traffic around? Car advertising is all lies. :lol:

If we did an ad we should have a motorist complaining about traffic and a smug cyclist going "I got here ages ago!" :lol:

I loved the CTC one - Fast Lane, Fat Lane iirc.

Cycling posters could focus on:
    -no parking costs
    -shorten journey times for small distances
    -lose weight quickly
    -its a proper adventure
    -no fuel costs or "tax" (well we might as well rub it in if they're gonna beleive the hype)
    -it helps with mild asthma when you get fitter (well its helped me)

Hmm I think we needs a figure head... would Myleene Klass wear lycra d'ya think? :P
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    Two factors here;

- cycling is highly efficient and cost-effective, so it does not generate the huge private profits which lead to media campaigns.

- because it is efficient and effective it appeals to intelligent rational people, and advertisers are more interested in targeting the opposite.

Jon
  • downfader
    Jon, in that case my run of subversive "Fuel Duty to Rise 200%" posters will have a wonderful impact. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
  • Ambermile
    Ambermile Posts: 117
    downfader wrote:
    Hmm I think we needs a figure head... would Myleene Klass wear lycra d'ya think? :P

You can't have her, us astronomers got in the queue first grinblah.gif

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • downfader
    Ambermile wrote:
    downfader wrote:

You can't have her, us astronomers got in the queue first grinblah.gif

Arthur

I'll have you know I was classically trained on guitar as a kid* :wink::lol:

*may be a lie :wink:
  • Jon G

Thank for the input, but you have answered a completely different question. You make valid points about why professional advertisers focus on the car, but I would really like your thoughts on the merits of an amateur as described above. How about listing specific positives of bike over car to get the creative process going?

If any campaign is to succeed we must first define our goal. Anyone done any posters yet btw? I had to take the wife shopping so my planned posters about fuel duty and the bike are yet to be made...