Wheels

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hello,

What do you feel are the better wheels? Fulcrum 7 or Shimano RS-20??

Also looking to buy a Focus from Wiggle, Any comments on the bikes or service?

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Fulcrum R7 - better finish, traditional bent spokes, loud clicky freehub, can be difficult to fit tyres over the rims.
    Shimano RS 20, not such a good finish, straight spokes (possibly harder to get replacements) , quiet freehub, tyres fit easily.
    They are both similar in weight and either would be a good cheap upgrade from standard wheels in my opinion.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Fulcrum R7 = Campagnolo = The choice. Need I say more!
  • hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    I have heard Fulcrum wheels are hard to put tyres on. Why is this and any tips to get tyres on easier?
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    edited August 2008
    if you do a search you will find a recent thread with extensive information on wheel rims and tyre fitting information.
    I have just had the same choice between Fulcrum Racing 7 and Rs20
    I decided against the Fulcrums because they are made by Campag and are notoriously difficult to fit tyres to and they have a very clicky freehub which would drive me nuts. Everyone within 100 yards can hear you coming if you freewheel.

I settled on the RS20 initially but then I did some research on the RS10 and RS20 and founf that there was no difference except the rim transfers.So I bought the RS10's last week from Ribble for £75.00 and I am very pleased with them

They have an excellent finish, far better than Campag Khamsins .The Rubino Pro tyres that wouldn't fit my Campag rims even with tyre levers went straight onto the RS10 rims with fingertips only. It really was a breeze.

I unpacked the wheels fitted the cassette, removed the tyres from my other rims. Fitted two new tubes and the Rubino Pros and had the new wheels on the bike ready to go in under 15 minutes !

I bought the silver rims with red nipples and stickers and they look fantastic. For £75.00 how can you go far wrong.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    you just don't like Campag do you. :lol:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've just bought a set of Racing 7's as back up pair for my Allez and must admit getting the tyres on and off was an absolute b!tch. I've never had to struggle to that extent with any previous wheel.

I also find the freehub a little annoying. To me its not a noise that echos quality as with my Racing 3's or even louder DT240 hubs.
    On the plus side it is certainly making me freewheel less.
  • peanut
    Campy King wrote:
    you just don't like Campag do you. :lol:
    can't think what gave you that idea :lol:
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I
    On the plus side it is certainly making me freewheel less.

thats the bit I like best these days :roll: :lol:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    rubino pro 2's fit campag/fulcrum rims without any difficulty

arent shimaNO wheels floppy?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Lagavulin
    I tried Rubino Pros as I'd been told they were easier to mount and they went onto my Racings 3's fairly easily. Not the 7's though. Destroyed my thumbs and were only marginally easier than Fortezzas. Came to the conclusion that if I punctured I was going to be up the proverbial creek anyway so fitted the tyres I'd rather be on than those the rims would like. :lol:
  • peanut
    edited August 2008

not according to the evidence and experience of everyone else that posted on the wheel/ tyre thread :lol:

Shimano low end wheels did have a reputation for being a bit wobly but that was 3-4 years ago when they first offered factory built wheelsets
    The later wheels 2006-2008 are fine.
    The RS10 and RS20 have offset spoking .
    Try and keep up :roll: :lol::wink:
  • Lagavulin
    peanut wrote:
    The RS10 and RS20 for example have 30mm deep section rims...
    No they don't. :wink:
  • peanut
    Lagavulin wrote:
    peanut wrote:
    The RS10 and RS20 for example have 30mm deep section rims...
    No they don't. :wink:
    no you are right they are 24mm but ishould have checked as i'm having a low blodd sugar attack and am shaky and anxious. :oops:
    sorry but I believe the rest odf my post is coerrect but perhaps you will kindly correct the info if not . I cannot at the mo tjkhans

Phew thats a bit better . :roll: still shaking though so I'm off to buy loads of chocolate and jam donuts etc Apologies for the crappost :oops:
  • fast as fupp
    peanut wrote:

not according to the evidence and experience of everyone else that posted on the wheel/ tyre thread :lol:

Shimano low end wheels did have a reputation for being a bit wobly but that was 3-4 years ago when they first offered factory built wheelsets
    The later wheels 2006-2008 are fine.
    The RS10 and RS20 have offset spoking .
    Try and keep up :roll: :lol::wink:

ah but are they pro 2's

i got pro 2's onto r7's and campag vento easily with the barest of hands

keep up with shimaNO?- i believe they make good fishing tackle dont they?
  • peanut
    [
    i got pro 2's onto r7's and campag vento easily with the barest of hands
    Mmm sounds distinctly fishy to me :lol:

[
    ShimaNO i believe they make good fishing tackle dont they?

Yep! :D and I don't recall Campy catching anything except a cold lol :wink:
  • fast as fupp
    [/quote]
    Mmm sounds distinctly fishy to me :lol:

you must be in he wrong plaice :D
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    ContiGP4000S tires just slip onto Fulcrum rims, you could probably fit them with ya toes.