Best all-round fork for Zen

BileMonkey
BileMonkey Posts: 8
edited August 2008 in XC and Enduro
Am seriously overhauling my 07 Saracen Zen 2. I LOVE the frame, and the bike's general handling, and am trying to improve it for all of the riding I do.

Okay, first thing - I'm 100KG and good at braking bits. I'm not a hucker/DH'r/FR'r or anything silly, but I ride quite aggresively. I'm upgrading for bits that are light for their strength, rather than just light. So Hone Cranks, DT 5.1s on Pro IIs etc. I do XC and quite a lot of road mileage between routes. I enjoy uphill as much as down. "All Mountain" if you will.

My upgrade path is well underway and meticulously planned - except for the fork. This is a nightmare.

I've mainly been looking at Fox forks (because I've loved the ones I've ridden) but will consider anything.

Currently the bike has the stock 130mm Manitou Relic Elite. It's plush at low speeds, where it can soak up big hits, but it's a bit flexy and has a tendancy to get firmer the faster I go over bumpy ground. Not very adjustable, either.

Now geometry wise, I like the handling a load. It feels fast and sharp. Front is a little light on technical uphills, though.And I'd like more ability on the downs. Basically, I want the moon on a stick. Here's what I've considered so far:

Fox Float 32 R - Very light, similar crown/axle height to keep geometry. Cheapest option, too. And it's white, which I love as it matches the frame (I know, this shouldn't be the issue).

Fox Float 32 RLC QR15 - Stiffer with 15mm axle but £160 dearer for that axle and some adjustments I probably won't get the most out of. White again, though. Mmm, pimpy.

Fox Talas 32 150mm QR15 - 110-130-150mm Travel sounds like the best of all worlds but not exactly cheap. And if I'm running 130mm most of the time will I be getting the most out of it?

Fox Talas 36 - 160-130-100mm travel options. Again, sounds uber dreamy but is relatively portly (though doubtfull any heavier than my OEM Relic, which doesn't have the alloy steerer of the 4.4lb retail version). Possbly overkill on a hardtail? And again, is the fork doing it's best work at 130mm? Great options fors for techy climbs and gnarly downs, though.

Too many options here. It's not even as if I'm comparing similar forks! Please can somebody help put me on track? Suggestions? PLEASE?

Lee.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    QR 15 needs a new hub/wheel.

I have the '06 Float R 32mm QR, superb forks, also what about Rockshox Revelations?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    similar weight to you.

do you want 130mm of travel? more or less?

20mm axle or Qr?

pike or revelation air U turn sorted.

sorry not a fan of fox forks. (yet).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I can get 15mm conversion caps for the Hope front hub for £15 from Stif, so not a real biggie.

Basically, for general use I want to keep the same geometry - so 130/140mm (the Relics have a slightly longer than normal axle/crown height than most 130mm forks to allow clearance on the reverse arch, apparently the Fox 140mm, as used on the Zen 3, keeps the same geometry). I've also read the Fos 32s aren't the most rigid forks at 140mm, so thought the 15mm axle versions would be of bennefit to the stiffness of the fork.

However, the Talas forks offer more versatility. They'd give me the loger fork for rougher downhills and a shorter fork for climbs. But they're heavier, more expensive, and reviewers tend to suggest their performance is a little compromised compared to their fixed length stable-mates.

Just read the Rockshox Revelation 426 Air U-Turn review on here. Sounds very tempting. A couple of years back I ran a Reba Race on a lighter bike and loved the damping. Sounds like he Revelation uses a similar system. Will go and do some reading up on the Pikes.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Lee.

EDIT: Do prefer post-mounts ti IS.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Sounds like you've done your research.

If you want adjustability, stiffness and reliability - the new 2009 Revelation might be worth a look.

It winds out to 140mm and has a 20mm axle, which you may also be able to convert your Hope hub to handle.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd say pikes, they are just so stiff, and okay, the air u-turns weigh a bit more than the talas, but they can be had for £400 and with the full 20mm axle there is no flex through them. You can just put the front end exactly where you want...
  • Yeah, the hopes will swap out to 20mm Thru-axle no bother too.

Okay, 140mm Revelation with 20mm axle sounds mustard. Definately worth waiting to see what the first reviews say.

Also dying to see what the first reviews on the new Magura Thor say, too (found them by Googling the new revelations!). On paper, both of these offer what I want most from the Talas, are hundreds cheaper and, by some divine force, are both launching in White!

Light forks (sub 4lb for the Thor) with 140mm travel and 20mm thru-axles, plus the ability to dial it down for climbs - perfect. They tick all the boxes at the less upsetting end of my budget.

Will keep you informed what I end up with, but now I've found a couple which promise to meet all my hopes and needs I have focus!

Thanks for all the help guys. :D

Lee.