Long Stem advice

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited August 2008 in Workshop
I've got a Giant SCR 1.0 in a small (I'm 5' 8"), which is probably in the almost too small range. Its been fine and comfortable though, and has eased my transition from MTBs. I fitted a slightly longer 105mm stem after a while which I prefer, but now I think I want it to be a bit longer.

Is there any reason not to stick a 130mm stem on it?

Are there any different characteristics of having a frame with a shorter top tube, but longer stem, and more seat pin showing, over a larger frame with shorter stem and less seat pin?

Cheers!

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It will change the handling - make it a bit slower

That's seems an awful lot of length to have to add.

You could try a bar with a longer reach too which would have less effect on the handling - and looks.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Milese - give it a try. One of my bikes has a 13cm stem and I love it. It is particularly good for descending I find. It's a personal preference ... some prefer the quick handling of a 10cm stem and others the slower, more stable handing of a longer stem. FWIW many pros seem to ride fairly long stems (Boonen has a 14cm I think).
  • FWIW many pros seem to ride fairly long stems (Boonen has a 14cm I think).

Most of the pros that use really long stems tend to be pretty tall meaning that they'd take a 12 or 13cm anyway, so a 14cm is not unreasonable.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have a long body and short legs(5'11" tall) so I need a size 54cm frame but I find it a bit short. I use a 120mm stem to give me the space I need but I could comfortably use a 130. i think the only difference you will notice is a slight increase in stability/steering effort(no bad thing)
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Thanks for all the advice. I might try a 120mm first and see how I get on.
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    I am 6' 3" and opted for a 58" frame rather than a 60", but then stuck a 130mm stem on it to compensate. It's perfect.
  • Was your bike designed for riding in stilts, presumeably with arm extensions too? A 58 inch frame would be huge :p
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MegaCycle
    MegaCycle Posts: 236
    ah yes, you spotted my deliberate mistake.

jolly good. I did of course mean 58cm.