Rear disc brake adaptor

COMET99
COMET99 Posts: 140
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello, I'm currently running V's on my 99 Scott and was looking to now eventually change to discs but as i have no rear disc mount i have found this to be very difficult so far. Therefore I was wondering if any one new of a solution which would allow me to run discs on the rear of my bike. Cheers :) :?: :?: :?:

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Woolyhat shop on ebay sell an a2z frame adaptor for around £30 IIRC.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • RVP
    RVP Posts: 42
    COMET99 wrote:
    Hello, I'm currently running V's on my 99 Scott and was looking to now eventually change to discs but as i have no rear disc mount i have found this to be very difficult so far. Therefore I was wondering if any one new of a solution which would allow me to run discs on the rear of my bike. Cheers :) :?: :?: :?:

Just run a front Disc, tbh you don't really need front and back
  • COMET99
    Yeah that could be a good solution actually running just a rear V and a cable disc on the front maybe. Would even a hydraulic disc be alright with just a V brake on the back??? Also the A2Z adapter is a good solution not to bad in price either. I was also considering Magura's, Any one know what these are like long term with maintenance etc???
    Choices choices hey...

:? :? :? :?
  • RVP
    RVP Posts: 42
    I used to have XT V brakes on my old bike and TBH I don't see much differene between them and the Juicy 5's I'm currently running - unless your doing downhill the difference between V's and disc brakes are negligible, imo

Have a search on this forum and MTBR forums lots of people run a front disc only
  • COMET99
    This is true actually. Thanks for all your help on this matter. I have definitely made up my mind now. Front Avid disc and rear Avid V. Cheers lads. :D
  • Not that I want to jump in after you've made your mind up, but if you like your long muddy descents, a rear disc is a big plus. On my last bike, I used an A2Z PMR adapter to convert parrallel mounts to IS mounts. You'll need to run a smallish hydraulic brake, since I found a cable disc wouldn't fit between the chainstay and seatstay. If you decide to go disc, you can have my old adapter for nowt, I remember the hastle it was to get one, and it's only collecting dust in my tool box.
  • COMET99
    Ah cheers dude. Did you want anything for the postage? That would save me a lot of hassle of having to find the right adaptor.Yeah well after a bit more thinking I am considering the front and rear disc brake route to be honest. The bigger picture is a new bike mind you, but for the time being I have got to make do with the one I've got. Really want a full sus as I do a lot of trail/single rack on a hardtail. Cheers again mate.
  • Not that I want to jump in after you've made your mind up, but if you like your long muddy descents, a rear disc is a big plus.

Yeh, I agree. Also for the times when you need to lock the rear to get around really tight corners at speed, V's don't always do it, a disk is better. The A2Z adaptors seem to work quite well - a friend had one & it did the job.