Tyres

Mr_Cellophane
Mr_Cellophane Posts: 690
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I have a standard bike with 26x1.9 "smooth" tyres. I commute 20 miles to work at weekends along the A13 and Cable Street CPs and on road at other times. I also try to get out and about at weekends on country paths (not dirt tracks).
I want to get narrower tyres as I believe that will make my road journeys a bit easier. Should I go down to 1 inch or will that be too narrow for gravelly paths ?
Will I notice a difference on the road or am I kidding myself and should really get a hybrid ?

Thanks

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I ride my 700 by 25s (1") on bridleways and gravel tracks with no problem. You will probably find it will feel a bit skitty on the road in the same way as when you ditched the knobblies for slicks. You will be carrying less weight in your tyres and will have less rolling resistance so you should either be quicker or do the same for less output. If you are still a bit sceptical Schwalbe City Jets come in 26x1.5 and the excellent Marathons in 26x1 3/8
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Neil: Is dotbike.com your firm? I came across the site this afternoon for the first time looking for a Carradice zip roll bag. Ordered.

Cheers

Andy
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Yes, that's me with the beard. You should have your bag tomorrow with a bit of luck.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Arrived today, thanks. Perfect for what I wanted (separate grubby tools, lock, etc from work clothes and give easy access to arm/leg warmers/gilet, etc plus a bit more space for longer trips), fitting snuggly with my SQR Slim.

I'll be back for some winter tyres (Contis) soon. Nice to have a choice from the ubiquitous Wiggle.

Cheers

Andy