Wheels, spoke problems and finding a builder?

dirtbiker100
dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
Don't say merlins just yet - read it first.

I need a new 150mm rear wheel for my quake. It's used for dh, freeride (drops etc) and xc too so best to go strong for DH really. Went to good old merlins:
hope pro II 150 in black
EX729 black disc version (lighter than the ex325 I currently ride too)
spokes.... oh no!
I'd really want black spokes as you can imagine but the strong plain gauge ones are only in silver whereas the dt comp are lower strength but come in black
For downhill and heavy duty wheels we use DT plain gauge stainless steel spokes, these are the strongest available.
DT Comp, a higher grade stainless steel double butted spoke suitable for XC or freeride use.

Should I go for DT comp? are there any other renowned wheel builders that can build up the wheel mentioned above or as near as? It's a black bike with black spokes on the front. I can't get silver spokes on the back can I?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you do NOT want plain gauge.

you DO want double butted as they build a stronger wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dirtbiker100
    sorted.
    so why do they say plain gauge for stronger wheels?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    beacause they dont really know what they are doing.

read the sticky on wheels in Tech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    and you want 721 or 823 as they are stronger than the 729 according to most people.
  • dirtbiker100
    just googled mavic 712 vs 729 and interesting reading. so looks like i'll go for the 721 instead. 125g lighter than my current rim and £1 cheaper than the 729 build too!