Fitment Question..............

Drunkenmunkey
Drunkenmunkey Posts: 28
edited July 2008 in Workshop
Greetings!

I have just bought a beautiful Planet X Uncle John and my question is this; It came fitted with an external BB and Shimano LX mtb crankset and I'm running out of gears!
Can a road chainset e.g. Shimano 105 be fitted with relative ease?

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    yeah, same bearings, the main problem will be the derraileur with larger rings. How running out are you? Could you just put a 48 ring on and be done with it?
  • Thanks for the reply, not quite sure what "how running out I am" means, sorry :oops:
    Is it possible to just raise the derailleur or will that throw off the shift?
  • ride_whenever
    well you mention running out of gears, are you just missing a little bit more or can you spin along in your top gear at 80-90rpm up small hills?

What front derraileur do you have?
  • :? I want to fit a road chainset, not a 48 and I'm not happy just spinning, hence the question regarding fitting a road chainset :D

No worries, I'll pick one up and see, there should be no adjustment other than derailleur adjustment, I was just asking in case there was a bike mechanic viewing.

Thanks anyway.........
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It's not completely easy. The mountain BBs are wider than the road ones, as they have to accomodate both 73mm and 68mm shells. As a result, if you look at your BB, you'll see two black spacers behind the driveside cup and one behind the non-driveside cup. These have to be removed or the road axle won't be long enough. In addition to this, there is a black plastic dust cover attached to the driveside cup. This can be pulled off, but you'll need to make sure the bearings stay clean more vigilantly. It's not a difficult job, you just need the BB tool to remove the cups and refit them.
  • ride_whenever
    I was asking about the derrailleur because I wasn't mtb ones can accomodate large rings such as found on road bikes. But as said above, the bearings are the same size.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No idea what ratios you have at the moment, but my fave options would be a new close ratio cassette or a bigger chainring or both ?

Must be cheaper than a new chainset ?

You could mail Planet X - they know about the bike and they would make good suggestions ?