Mavic MA2 Rims

MattTrinder
MattTrinder Posts: 12
edited July 2008 in Workshop
Hi

Can anybody tell me anything about these rims - I have one on a late 80's early 90's Raleigh that i bought of eBay as a fixed gear conversion project.

Cheers

Matt

Comments

• andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    HI there.

The MA2 (and it's slightly flashier big brother the MA40) was a great rim - really the Open Pro of it's day. The double-walled box section meant that it's strength wasn't compromised by the spoke holes, while eyelets on the spoke holes meant that you could build a wheel with very high tension.

A well build MA2 will survive pretty much everything - I've got a retired 6-speed back wheel on a MA2 knocking around my loft somewhere that must have been at least 10 years old before I got it and used it for another 5 years.

Some more info on: http://www.bikepro.com/products/rims/mavicroad.html

Cheers, Andy
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I've used a lot of MA2 rims as well as the wider MA3 for tandem rear wheels and they are (were?) excellent rims. I recently built a pair of wheels with OpenPro rims and they are much stiffer and I think much improved over the older MA designs.

There's nothing wrong with MA2s it's just that OpenPros are better.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Thanks Chaps