Whats my altitude of where I live?

SQU@RETIP
SQU@RETIP Posts: 83
edited July 2008 in Workshop
Hello

I'm calibrating the altimeter on my cycle computer and it wants a reading for my starting altitude.

Where can I find this reading without having to purchase an ordnance survey map.Ive done a bit of googling and checked google earth/maps etc.

Any helpers.

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Well google earth will show your altitude so can I ask why you have dismissed this?
  • SQU@RETIP
    Dont think I had the appropriate box checked in the layers window in google earth
  • doyler78
    No. If you look at the bottom left on the map screen and hover over your house it will show:

elev ???m

That is your altitude (elevation). Mine read perfect as compared to an OS map.
  • doyler78
    Oh forgot to say that the list of options down the other side has to have terrain ticked otherwise you will not get elevation info.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Give me yyour coordinates and I'll tell you what Memory Map says
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    OS Maps are on Multimap as well but there are better solutions above than counting contours
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • SQU@RETIP
    Give me yyour coordinates and I'll tell you what Memory Map says

Rob

I think I have the correct elevation but I'll give you the coordinates anyway.

Removed - Mod

thanks mate.
  • SQU@RETIP: I'd delete that post if I were you and PM him your co-ords. You don't want the map co-ordinates of your house to be in the public domain.... you don't know who reads these forums and the posts are fully searchable.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    SQU@RETIP wrote:
    Hello

I'm calibrating the altimeter on my cycle computer and it wants a reading for my starting altitude.

Where can I find this reading without having to purchase an ordnance survey map.Ive done a bit of googling and checked google earth/maps etc.

Any helpers.

Ordnance Survey maps are on-line, albeit only as small maps. Look for the Get-A-Map option on their web site.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    SQU@RETIP wrote:
    Hello

Any helpers.

Ordnance Survey maps are on-line, albeit only as small maps. Look for the Get-A-Map option on their web site.

Plus, if you've a decent public library nearby, they should have OS maps without resorting to a purchase just to check your local altitude.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal