Ribble Audax/Winter frame headtube length

leighz
leighz Posts: 175
edited August 2008 in Workshop
Anyone got either the 56 (ctc seatube) or 54cm ribble audax/winter frame? Can you measure the headtube for me?

I tried asking ribble but they couldn't do it for god only knows what reason and it's not on their frame geometry page

cheers

Comments

• CheeseyJoe
    CheeseyJoe Posts: 95
    I can't directly answer your question but they are pretty short.

My 50cm (Ribble's sizing 55cm top tube) is 11cm.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    54cm has a 15cm headtube [just bought one!]

They are quite low, I flipped the stem originally but it's ok back the proper way tbh.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • leighz
    how tall are you a_n_t? Can't decide between the two
  • a_n_t
    6'2", 90cm inside leg.

The seat is pretty high but i like to make a smaller frame fit than get lost on a bigger one!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • leighz
    6'3" with 34" inside leg - what do you reckon? (would prefer a more upright position)

do you use a lot of spacers below the stem?
  • a_n_t
    i'd probably go with the bigger option if you want a more upright position tbh.
    I've got the bars as high as they will go without flipping the stem [although it is flipped in the pic link below]

Dont think any will be _that_ upright thinking about it unless you get a short stem, mines 120mm with a 57cm tt, same as the wilier.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Just bought a Ribble winter frame as well, had to go down to a 50cm c to c to get the correct size top tube for me.

Gosh, the head tube is small, and its made worst with a internal headset. :cry:

So it was either flip the stem over (aka MTB style) or try a lot of spacers to get the right drop from the saddle.

In the end I have left the stem in its normal road position and fitted 45mm worth of carbon spacers under it.

I cannot quite understand why they need to make the frame so compact? :?:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • leighz
    yeah - that was what I was trying to avoid - a massive stack of spacers or a top tube that feels like being put on the rack

guess they're aiming for racers

still looking for the 56 (ctc seatube) headtube measurement from anyone???
  • Diver-m
    Diver-m Posts: 158
    I have just wrecked my Ribble audax frame and I am looking to buy just a new ribble frame and swap the bits over.

When you buy the frame/ fork combo with fitted crown race, would I have have to do much more to finish it of, eg do I have to cut the fork to size, do I have to fit the star nut? ( is this difficult to do)

I have the spacers from the wrecked Ribble will these be enough for the new fork or would I have to purchase more?

To be honest I would not mind be able to raise the front a bit as I use the wrecked Ribble for communting and I think the low front may have been a factor in my crash.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    A junior hacksaw will cut through the alloy steerer easily. The starnut can be hammered in using a hammer and a 10mm hex socket (I think that's what it's called)

If you get the same size frame as you crashed, the same number of spacers will put you at the same height.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Diver-m
    Diver-m Posts: 158
    What do you use to steady the fork whist you are banging.

I suppose a vice would be the answer, but if you not got one of those?
  • Do it while it's in the frame with a wheel. Put the bike in a turbo trainer or get someone to hold the bike steady.