Dodgy gear changes

Super Saint
Super Saint Posts: 22
edited July 2008 in Workshop
I have recently bought a Giant SCR 4 from Cycle Solutions.

Everything seems fine apart from the gear change.

Gears 1-5 on the biggest gear are fine(5 whines a bit at times), but as I go to 6 up to 8 there is a whirring noise as if the gear is not fully engaged.

I am not technically minded at all, is this something I can fix, or is it best to take it to a bike shop for adjustment.

Please advise.

Thanks

Comments

• stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    play with the barrel adjuster on the cable next to the rear mech....this indexes the gearing for you,sounds though its a little out
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Before you touch anything, look at the chain as you pedal the bike holding the rear wheel up. Is the chain rubbing the front mech?
  • Yes, I assumed the issue was at the back, but I've just checked and the chain is catching on the front mechanism when I move to 6 upwards.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    In that case, shift onto the small ring at the front. If you have a lot of cable slack, adjust the cable with the screw on the front mech. Your shifting should be fine once the slack is taken up, but if it needs some slight adjustment, there should be a barrel adjuster on the left hand side of your frame, tweaking that slightly should sort out any minor issues.