new biker needs help buying his first bike.

ghostofwinter
ghostofwinter Posts: 4
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
hey
I'm a new biker going into tri soon butI'm buying a road bike to start of cycling first. I'm mainly looking into second hand bikes cos I'm on a budget.

anyway I have gonte to several LBS and due to my awkward body shape ( I'm 178cm tall but have very long legs and a short body) I have gotten some rather conflicting info. most of them agree that I fall between a 52 and a 54 seat tube lenght ( between s and m sizes) and most people I have asked have recommended me to go with the 52 ( since I can always raise the seat stay later on if I have to.) and so I'm going to go with the 52.
anyone got advice on my sizing?

anyway I am currently looking at this second hand bike

Scott Speedster S20 (2008)
SIZE: 52

FRAME: Hydroformed 7005 double-butted aluminum

FORK: Scott Addict carbon w/ alloy steerer

COMPONENT HIGHLIGHTS: Shimano 105 shifters, derailleurs, compact crank (50/34), bottom bracket, cassette, brakes, Xero Maravilloso Race XPR-3 wheels (upgraded); Hutchinson Equinox tires; Scott Road Drop bar, Road Team OS stem;

FREE : SIGMA cyclo computer; 2 Topeak bottle cage; Scott Saddle Bag
bike bought in march 08

the guy is selling for around 1600 AU dollars, whcih equates to about US 1066
or 530 pouinds.

what do u guys think?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hi Ghost

Welcome

I can't say I am familiar with the bike but I'll chip in.

Sizing: Top tube length is going to be important to you given your shorter upper body. Check out that the reach to the bars is not too long. Probably like many of us most of your riding will be holding the bars on the brake hoods, so make sure that is comfy. If it is a little too stretched you could fit a shorter stem (if it isn't very short already).

As for the bike, it sells for around £960 in the uk, so on the face of it £530 is a good price for a 2008 model. 105 components are very good, if not the lightest, but functionally they are very good. If you were paying full price there would probably be better bikes available, and in the UK £1000 will get you a decent Carbon framed bike with Ultegra. At £530 if as good as new, it would be impossible to beat with a new purchase. There are a few reviews here.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Sizing advice, get yourself properly measured for a bike. Best thing I ever did, then you can view the geometry of a bike with a sound base to work from.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed