The moral of the story is...

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Pulling up in the center of a left lane in Shirley Road today (red light) I felt I was pretty visable. But as soon as I had pulled off I was aware of the vehicle behind me swinging left and right, right on my back wheel. So I stood my ground, knowing there was a pinch point literally 8 foot infront (ped crossing island). Then all of a sudden a white transit mini bus swung around me at about 40 and cut me up something rotten. He went across my right handlebar and front wheel with less than an inch to spare. :evil:

BLEEP! :shock:

Out of breath I screamed: "Whoa!!!?? F***ing hell mate!!? If you have just waited THREE seconds...!!!" But he roared off, and I was too breathless to make an impact. I consoled myself with the thought that I had him on camera and could take it down the copshop...

....only when I got to work I realised the battery had died 20 seconds before I'd approached the lights. :roll: :( I was SO angry with this guy I could have happily pressed charges of dangerous driving*, but more angry with myself for not having fully charged batteries.

*I presume it works like assault..?

Comments

• iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Don't they do dynamos for helmet cams?

:lol:
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • downfader
    iainment wrote:
    Don't they do dynamos for helmet cams?

Nah this is still the nikon L10 compact clamped to me handlebar :lol: (still waiting on the helmetcam people to actually get back to me - who did you guys order off I wonder?)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I had a terrifyingly close overtake this morning - The guy actually clipped my elbow (was down on the drops with elbows slightly out). It was a boy racer who appeared to be on illegal plates, because due to the sun I have no idea what his registration was. He would have been reported for that, which is probably why he has the illegal plate. :evil:
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    yeah, what is it with impatient twats like that ? i had a pretty scary incident at a pinch point / ped refuge last week when a car actually hit the kerbstone of it and v.nearly took out the bollard too (thank fk no ped's on it at the time) in his urge to arrive at the red light those few Vital Seconds earlier. Shat me up a bit actually but there you go, maybe that was the idea.

Would the police use helmet (or handlebar) camera footage as evidence ? (i have visions of being told the time / date can't be verified therefore it's of no use)
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • downfader
    whyamihere wrote:
    I had a terrifyingly close overtake this morning - The guy actually clipped my elbow (was down on the drops with elbows slightly out). It was a boy racer who appeared to be on illegal plates, because due to the sun I have no idea what his registration was. He would have been reported for that, which is probably why he has the illegal plate. :evil:

LOADS of illegal plates down here. Gonna report a guy on a motorbike later too, he had only plimsoles, helmet and shorts on. :shock: Bloody nice bike it was too, but I'd be b****ed if I would ride one of those without more protection.

Boy racers around here are a***holes. :x The drive past as fast as they can, often with a passenger who'll lean out and shout abuse to scare you, or try and grab ya. I try not to ride when they cruise, now though, they're all out at 7pm friday and saturday night.
    yeah, what is it with impatient twats like that ? i had a pretty scary incident at a pinch point / ped refuge last week when a car actually hit the kerbstone of it and v.nearly took out the bollard too (thank fk no ped's on it at the time) in his urge to arrive at the red light those few Vital Seconds earlier. Shat me up a bit actually but there you go, maybe that was the idea.

Would the police use helmet (or handlebar) camera footage as evidence ? (i have visions of being told the time / date can't be verified therefore it's of no use)

Karl, they dont seem to understand that taking a few seconds longer means I might stay healthy. I have to admit, 99% of drivers around here are great, its the 1% lately that are REALLY letting the side down. The locals here seem to get angry about cyclists rather than get angry at these wollies that are sucking their insurance costs to death. :wink:

With the police situ, havent tested the water yet, thankfully. Have spoken face to face with a couple of Bobbies (nearly wrote "boobies" :lol: ) locally who have said "unless you have evidence its your word against theirs" (paraphrased - and these two guys are cyclists iirc). I would HOPE that despite the date and time situation they would still accept that its on video and therefore has happened.

I would get very angry if any policeman tried to turn me away. Whether they follow it up or not I think they have a duty to record it? :?