Headset removal issue

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited August 2008 in Road general
I am trying to remove a headset from a Falcon (early 70's) after I have removed the top nut I get to a serrated washer type object. This is where I am stuck. Am I meant to tap it out or unscrew it? There are no flat edges so it is difficult to get hold of. Below this is a cup.

The headset looks a bit like this one. Although you can't see the serrated device it has jagged teeth.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I have the old Richard's Bicycle Book and I have searched he internet but have found nowt.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    normally you have the lock nut then a washer and then the threaded top race. the washer should just lift off.

without the picture you allude to it is a bit murky. :wink:

headtype43.jpg
    headtype18.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GaryGkn
    Thank you. I am familiar with these headset but this one has less hexagonal edges.

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/148-471980
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on that one the tonged washer should be lift able with a screwdriver and fingers and then the knurled top race undone by hand.

sorry but will you be able to get a picture of your particular problem?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GaryGkn
    Will try and get a picture but will go with your screwdriver technique for now.

Thanks for that tip I will have another go tomorrow.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Sounds like an old Alatet or Stronglight style headset. The serrated washer will normally just lift off but it sounds like dried grease or rust is causing it to stick.

Presuming you don't want to keep and reuse it, just mong if off with a screwdriver like Nick suggests.
  • GaryGkn
    I don't want to keep it.

I'll do the screw driver job on it.
  • GaryGkn
    It worked. Next is fitting the crown race. I have never been a fan of this part. I am hopping it won't need any messing with. Although these are 26.4 on most bikes I have only ever come across 27's I am hoping that the the Falcon will be 26.4.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Best to use a proper tool for fitting a race crown .This ensures the bearing run ture.
    bagpuss
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks for that. I will get the LBS to fit that bit.