New Continental tyre with a hole in it

Old Git On A Bike
Old Git On A Bike Posts: 317
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Bloody annoying, my new Continental Travel Contact puncture safety system tyre and 2 innertubes have just arrived, great, but on closer inspection of the slick tread, I notice there is a hole in it, not a big hole, but almost certainly a weak point for something to go in to and give me a puncture, this is how it looks:

tyre006pc2.th.jpg

When I crimp the tyre, the depth of the hole is a lot clearer:

tyre004fu9.th.jpg

Now I have to send it back, didn't expect that from Continental or CRC :x
ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Send it back, it's probably a dud.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    As above. Where did you get it from?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • @ Blackspur, I got it from CRC, I'm pretty annoyed about that, how did that get past quality control, I read the CRC site and you need to print off some return documentaion, unfortunately, my printer is out of action, so can't print it, so it might be a case of me having to cut a small piece of rubber of one of the knobbles on my front wheel, and super glue it in to the hole on the tyre, I would put loads of glue on it to seal it good and proper, think it would hold up?
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    get a mate to print off the form & send it back, superglue won't do the job. You paid for a new tyre, not a defective one!
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Could have occured during transit or storage at CRC warehouse, so it's not necessarily an issue with quality control at Conti. Could always use a public library printer for the docs.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    yeah send it back..
    Just to ease your mind a little, ive been using these tyres since Jan this year. Ive done roughly 600 miles on them and they have been 100% spot on. Ive got masses of confidence in their puncture resistance. Run them at 60 psi and your laughing!

( il probably get a flat later )
  • Sorry to hear about the duff tyres, its a real pisser when you get duff goods sent through.

Sort of relevant continuation to this thread.

I have a Carrera Kraken and am looking for a full slick tyre for road and cycle trail use.

I currently have continental double fighter 2's (26 x 1.9's) fitted front and rear which I believe are semi-slicks, but I'm looking for something faster and with better puncture protection if poss, as I have already had a puncture only having used them for four months, also at the weekend, someone commented that they looked worn, ( I only ride once or twice a week for an hour or so!

I have searched the forum as far as possible and Michelin's Krylion's seem to be reccoemneded, are these the best?

Thanks in advance.