Wheel advice?

Barney 2
Barney 2 Posts: 68
edited July 2008 in Workshop
I have seen some wheels for sale reduced on the Parker website and wonderd if they would be a big improvement over what I already have, they are Campag Shamal Ultra and I have Fulcrum racing 3?

Comments

• jonesey10
    jonesey10 Posts: 239
    I've just got some Campag Ventos but still can't get any tyres on the damn things.
    I've tried Rubino's and now Michelin speediums and still no joy.
    i've changed the thick plastic rim tape to thin cotton tape, used washing up liquid, punctured 3 inner tubes bent my plastic tyre levers replaced them with park tools tyre levers and still the wheels sit in the box and not on my bike, so my opinion would be:
    DON'T BUY CAMPAG'S :evil:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jonesey10 wrote:
    I've just got some Campag Ventos but still can't get any tyres on the damn things.
    i've changed the thick plastic rim tape to thin cotton tape, used washing up liquid, punctured 3 inner tubes bent my plastic tyre levers replaced them with park tools tyre levers and still the wheels sit in the box and not on my bike, so my opinion would be:

Lol, you just don't know how to fit tyres.

I've got plenty of tyres on Campag rims........

He's already Fulcrum Wheels (which are Campag in all but name) anyway.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonesey10
    jonesey10 wrote:

Lol, you just don't know how to fit tyres.

I've got plenty of tyres on Campag rims........

He's already Fulcrum Wheels (which are Campag in all but name) anyway.

Of course I know how to fit tyres, how rude.
    I've just never had anything like as much trouble as I've had with the Vento's.
  • redddraggon
    I've got Ventos and my tyres went on with no problems..........hence my belief that you don't know how to fit tyres.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonesey10
    Well just in case I've missed something in all my years of cycling perhaps you'd like to enlighten me,
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    jonesey10 wrote:
    Well just in case I've missed something in all my years of cycling perhaps you'd like to enlighten me,

Try these top tips:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12579580

Cheers, Andy
  • Barney 2
    Barney 2 Posts: 68
    Fitted a newtyre to the Fulcrum and
    1. no rim tape?
    2. went on very easy no need to use levers.

And after all the threads on here i was realy worried about getting a puncture out on the road.
  • jonesey10
    [[code]quote="andrewgturnbull"]
    jonesey10 wrote:

Try these top tips:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12579580

Cheers, Andy[/quote]

Thanks Andy,

I've recently read all the tips and have tried some like changing the tape but the tyre's I've tried will just not go on the Vento, I'm not sure why Red Dragon thinks it's me being a dullard though.
    During Peanuts abandoned attempt at collating wheel and tyre info he said that the vento and the rubino's were probably the worst, so to combine the 2?????
    wish I'd read the article before purchasing.
    I thought the Speediums would be easier but not even close.
    I've put the speediums on my Alexrims now without any fuss at all so I'll ride about on them for a while, maybe that'll soften them up and assist in getting them on my Campags.[/quote]
  • redddraggon
    jonesey10 wrote:
    During Peanuts abandoned attempt at collating wheel and tyre info he said that the vento and the rubino's were probably the worst, so to combine the 2?????

Vento's + Rubinos = easy peasy

I've got them on Ventos now, so there doesn't look like a problem to me......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    reds always extremely friendly jonesy!!...he's always right and makes sure you know it!!

...bless him
  • jonesey10
    jonesey10 wrote:

Vento's + Rubinos = easy peasy

I've got them on Ventos now, so there doesn't look like a problem to me......

I'm thrilled for you.
  • jonesey10
    Also, if the Vento's are so easy peasy how come you put your tick in this box?

C] Tyre does not fit without levers and considerable force. Tube pinch or rim damage likely.Impossible to fix flat on the road.
  • shanexs
    shanexs Posts: 20
    I also bought Fulcrum wheels and find them to be a right pain in the derrier to fit tyres of any description! After breaking a load of tyre levers and a parktools workshop tyre tool I gave up! I'd love to know the 'knack' of fitting tyres to Fulcrum wheels.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    edited July 2008
    I have shamal ultras in my stable and they are easy to fit tyres to. not quite as easy as ksyiums but easier than the shimanos i've had and easier than low end campags. you don't need rim tape with shamals which i think helps.

the wheels themselves are one of my favourites. pretty light (a little over 1400g), seem very strong (7000km and nothing wrong so far) and pretty stiff. Rear is not quite as stiff as I'd like but i have unusual preferences there. they also have superb record hubs.

only downside perhaps is that they are middle of the road aerodynamically. better than some, worse than others. i say if you like the way they look then go for it because they are a nice set of hoopers for sure.

better than your F3s? Yes, a bit. not hugely ... just a bit lighter and perhaps slightly better hubs (not sure what the F3 hub spec is?).
  • jonesey10
    shanexs wrote:
    I also bought Fulcrum wheels and find them to be a right pain in the derrier to fit tyres of any description! After breaking a load of tyre levers and a parktools workshop tyre tool I gave up! I'd love to know the 'knack' of fitting tyres to Fulcrum wheels.

Take them round to Red Dragon, I'm sure he'll put them on in a jiffy.
    He's a tyre fitting god apparently.
  • CheeseyJoe
    CheeseyJoe Posts: 95
    Just use a speed lever ....then it's easy peasy.
  • shanexs
    shanexs Posts: 20
    yep broke a speed lever too...
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    jonesey10 wrote:
    [

I've recently read all the tips and have tried some like changing the tape but the tyre's I've tried will just not go on the Vento, I'm not sure why Red Dragon thinks it's me being a dullard though.
    wish I'd read the article before purchasing.
    I thought the Speediums would be easier but not even close.
    I've put the speediums on my Alexrims now without any fuss at all so I'll ride about on them for a while, maybe that'll soften them up and assist in getting them on my Campags.
    [/quote]

The number of posters that experienced considerable difficulty fitting Rubino pro tyres especially to Campag rims in my thread show clearly that they are a problem combination.
    There were some posters that thought that I was going about collecting and analysing the tyre/wheel information all the wrong way .I am looking forward to seeing their contribution in due course but I shall not be holding my breath

I myself had such extreme difficulty that I marked my Khamsin rims with levers and still failed to get the tyres on. I subsequently bought some RS10's and the same Rubino Pros fell onto the rim using one lever and finger pressure .Make of that what you will

Like you I have been fitting tyres for many years so its churlish to suggest someone cannot be competent at tyre fitting just because they didn't experience any problem themselves.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Lots of righteous indignation once again, and its genuinely unhelpful to say "youre just crap", but I honestly think technique counts for lots.

I find it impossible to get Rubinos, Vittoria CXs or even boring old Pro Races onto Campag/Fulcrum rims with tyre levers.

However, I do find rolling them on with thumbs and the bottom of my palm always works - and baby powder makes them slip without making the tyre too slippy to grip which I find soap/WUL does.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would urge anyone having mounting problems :wink: to buy the cheapest Tufo tubular
    clinchers that they can find and give them a try. You might, like me, be pleasantly
    surprised with the relative ease of getting them on and off(no tools). You'll have to carry a spare one with you but people will think you're really cool 8) because it will look like
    you're riding tubulars(and you actually are - sort of).

Dennis Noward
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    jonesey10 wrote:

I'll give you £10 for them.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    some people are assuming all campag rims are equally difficult to load a tyre onto ... they're not. shamals are much easier than the low end rims.

PR2s and even PR3s go on without much fuss ... and once mounted they are very easy (no levers easy) to remount if you get a puncture.

so ... to the OP ... don't worry about fitting tyres to your shamal ultras
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Yes... All got a tad off topic. I'd choose wheels and then worry about tyres personally. FWIW I've tried quite a few combinations of wheels and tyres - including a number of Campagnolo and Fulcrum models - and never had a problem. Maybe i just got lucky...