Sunday Queries.

Steven The Great
Steven The Great Posts: 4,332
edited August 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm not new to the cycling world, I have been riding for the last 7 years, but until last year I was only really into Trails, Street and Skatepark. However since I moved to Wales I have well and truly bitten the downhill bug.

I am planning to buy an Iron Horse Sunday Team, as the low BB and long Top Tube complements my riding style. I consider myself to be quite knowledgable in terms of bike maintenance, however this will be the first bike I have owned with rear suspension, and I have a few queries regarding the DHX 3.0 shock on the Sunday.

I am not a light rider, I'm 6ft4 and pushing 18 stone, and I wanted to know how adjustable the shock is for varying rider weights. I know from riding/testing various FS bikes such as the Orange 224, Scott Gambler and a friends IH Sunday that I prefer a slightly harder rear set-up, but is there much scope for tuning this shock out of the box or would I need to get it tuned professionally straight away?

Sorry for writing such an essay, I'm just super excited about getting the bike and don't want to leave anything to chance. Any help will be greatly appreciated and if anyone else knows anything of significance regarding the Sunday I would appreciate that aswell!
<center>"EpicClothingCo."</center>

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tou will need to get the correct spring for your weight.

Fox springs are good for 50lbs each way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The spring which comes as stock on the Sunday is 300lbs, does the weight of the spring refer to the weight of the rider it is suited to? If so I won't need to change the spring.

I know I probably sound stupid, I just haven't had much experience with rear shocks.
    <center>"EpicClothingCo."</center>
  • jammieeeee
    jammieeeee Posts: 389
    I don't think that is the case. Go on the TFTuned website and they have a shock srig calc
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    the best tihng to do is go on a spring calculator like on TF Tuned and work out what spring you need.
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"