How can I fit all this on my bike ?

vena
vena Posts: 2
edited September 2008 in Family & kids cycling forum
Dear fellow cyclists,

I just stumbled upon this forum while looking at solutions for carrying travel equipment and I have a ltttle puzzle to submit to you.
How would you fit:
- A 3 yr old child and her mum
- Camping equipment (tent, sleeping bags, roll mat)
- 3/4 days worth of clothes
on a single bike ?
Part of the journey involves taking the train - so trailer ruled out.

Ok more details and what I've worked out so far:
Child is 13 kg, rides daily on a rear seat mounted to the frame, with the rack still underneath - unused.
Tent & Sleeping bags could go in the very tiny space left on the rack right behind the child seat, tied both to the rack and to the seat itself (looks like I work in a circus but seems to work - I have tried).
But for the rest ?
How practical is it to ride with loaded front panniers ? Doesn't that make the handlebar difficult to manoeuvre ? I know from my daily commute with a front basket that as soon as it is full of heavy shopping, it makes the handlebar pretty tricky to handle sometimes....are panniers easier to manage because of the weight distribution or something ?
What about forgetting about front panniers and trying to cram rear panniers on the rack underneath the child seat instead. Is this going to be possible with just any kind of panniers ? Or should I look out for a specific type ? But wouldn't that mean too much weight at the back and a very unstable bike ?
What about having panniers both at the front and the back (provided my purse strings can stretch that far) ? Would my poor skip-salvaged bike withstand all that weight ?

Would be grateful for any input to help me solve this puzzle :shock: :?: :?:

Comments

• Cogman
    Cogman Posts: 2
    You really need to get yourself a proper tourer for that. Though I think you're being a bit ambitious with all that weight.
  • cycledad2
    cycledad2 Posts: 50
    Hi,

Go that ambition! I have a lot of respect for you. We still havent dared touring with our 16month old, but we're doing camping this year.

I've toured with front and rear panniers (but not with a child seat). I find front panniers detract from steering, but not stability. The low position means the bike is stable, but not maneauverable. I do find that after using front panniers on a ride my arms and shoulders are more tired as i've had to put more effort into maneauvering the bike.

4 panniers is plenty for what you need. your bike will move slowly but you'll have a great time.

If you can squeeze everything into 2 panniers, then consider trying it. You may find its unstable, but it will make transitions at the train station and at stops much easier. Physically carrying 4 panniers is hard work.

Another option is a mini rack at the front, mounted just above the wheel. These are great for strapping rolls of eg tent canvas\poles \sleeping bags\ Thermarest . Because a lot of these items are light it doesnt affect steering or balance. You can tie your roll so that the strapping makes a carrying strap as well, so it's one less thing in your hands at transitions. If your a skip meister, look out for basket frames. The older more old fashioned (and better) baskets have frames that the basket sits in. These attach to your front hub or pannier mounts.The frame makes a great front rack. I googled front rack and came up with an example but i'm sure there are others around.

PS Post the same question on the CTC website. Everyone will give you a lot of very uesful advice, including specific equipment. The for sale section may also be some use to you.
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Get a companion to share the load on a separate bike . More fun with 2 :D

I couldn't say whether your rescued bike would take the load but to be honest it will be lot for any bike, not necessarily the frame but the wheels and braking system are going to be put under severe torture and if they are a bit ropey ie rusty spokes and cheap brakes you could find yourself stuck with a broken wheel, I KNOW..... I HAVE BEEN THERE :?

Cheapy bike on a tour of Wales when I was about 20, too much gear and low quality wheels. Snap ping wobble...... ooops 3 broken spokes and the last of my money spent on fixing it.
    Get in touch with your local CTC for advice and maybe the local bike shop [ lbs]

Good luck
    Club rides are for sheep
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    That sounds like a lot of weight for a bike. A purpose made tourer could likely take it, but a skip bike - could be pushing your luck. And there's an additional problem. With all that weight - some of it quite high up - will you be able to keep the bike upright while you get aboard yourself?
    TBH I'd recommend a trailer for your luggage. visit www.edinburghbicycle.com and have a look at the Revolution trailer. It folds fairly well so should be physically possible to get it on a train. The description mentions coupling via the rear wheel quick release, but they do sell an adaptor for a solid axle (in trailer spares).
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Done a tiny bit of cycling/camping and if you can take less clothes and wash and dry them as you go on decent campsites you save carrying a bit of extra weight.

A half length inflatable roll mat and using clothing as a pillow saves weight too.
    Ive just got a Kona Ute. I've had to mod it a bit to fit foot racks, but it has a long enough back end to fit one child and two big panniers. Up front I have my younger daughter on a top tube seat. I can take both kids to school in five minutes. By car it's a minimum of fifteen.
    Of course, I don;t have to catch a train, but surely, anything other than a folder isn;t allowed on a train, anyway, is it?
    If you can mod the footrack like I've done (gives added stability at the back for kids), I'd highly recommend it for commuting with kids. Here's my review (though no pics of foot rack, as my camera's up the shoot. Hopefully I'm replacing it tomorrow, so I'll get some pics up, if you're interedted.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=459285
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Ive just got a Kona Ute. I've had to mod it a bit to fit foot racks, but it has a long enough back end to fit one child and two big panniers. Up front I have my younger daughter on a top tube seat. I can take both kids to school in five minutes. By car it's a minimum of fifteen.
    Of course, I don;t have to catch a train, but surely, anything other than a folder isn;t allowed on a train, anyway, is it?
    If you can mod the footrack like I've done (gives added stability at the back for kids), I'd highly recommend it for commuting with kids. Here's my review (though no pics of foot rack, as my camera's up the shoot. Hopefully I'm replacing it tomorrow, so I'll get some pics up, if you're interedted.

• Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494

• Carrying anything more than necessary on a bike is hard work.

We used to tour on a tandem with three kids - using a trailer and camped. It was fun but hard.

I suggest you put ALL your kit on the bed then half it. Then put it out again and do the same. You will be amazed at what you do not need. I spend my time advising people (my day job is as a wilderness guide) as what to take or rather what not to take.

I agree with the other folks, touring bikes are the key for kit carrying and a front rack
    is perfectly serviceable. It does feel different but worthwhile in balancing the bike - especially if you have the wee one on a rear seat. You should be able to strap all sorts of lightweight things to the child seat as long as they do not have a chance to connect with the rear wheel. When you have charges you really do not want any spills.
    Instea dof camping have you thought about hostelling as a starting point?

have fun.

Less is More

Zonc