Flying Low

GEPC
GEPC Posts: 123
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when I see people riding wtih their saddle too low. I want to go over to them with an alan key and put them out of their misery. I want to tell them they are missing out on lots of power and whats more they look a bit wrong with it so low.

Tell me its not just me.....

Comments

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    There are a lot of people riding bikes and not doing it properly. Saddle wrong height, heels on the pedals, tyres virtually flat, brakes hanging off, 27 gears and only using the top one, something clicking, something squeeking, &c.&c.
    Don't let it get to you. At least they're making the effort.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    To be honest I think Id have been glad for a bit of help when I first started cycling. It was only by coming to the forums that I learn how to adjust my saddle correctly, and what a difference that made :lol:

I set it up the way Im sure we were taught in cycling proficiency so that I could stand astride the bike whilst sat on the saddle. Absolutely useless for hill climbing. I used to have to honk all the way up every hill, saddle adjustment made a HUGE difference.

But I only found out about it by coming to the forums.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    edited July 2008
    ...I have often thought of giving a friendly bit of advice to someone struggling with bad bike adjustment and riding style, but haven't done so for two reasons...being told to F off and no one likes a know all...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    i can't say i get annoyed at it, but i'm often puzzled by those (usually teenagers) bikes with no saddle at all - just the one DT from headset to rear fork. After all, how far can you ride a bike that's got no saddle ?
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    edited July 2008
    karl j wrote:
    i can't say i get annoyed at it, but i'm often puzzled by those (usually teenagers) bikes with no saddle at all - just the one DT from headset to rear fork. After all, how far can you ride a bike that's got no saddle ?

That's because they don't use them for distances / commuting. They're jump bikes...

pbpic2308291.jpg
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I am aware of larger ladies who want to become smaller ladies riding with a lower than normal saddle because "it works the ass muscles more than the leg muscles"
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I've actually stopped someone to correct a flaw in their bike's setup. Well, I stopped their mother, who they were cycling with - it was a little girl whose forks were on the wrong way round! I'm pretty certain that would have a catastrophic effect on the bike's handling (esp at speed) but she appeared to have adapted to it rather well. It was a Halfords bike that the father had put together himself...
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    once people get over being approached by a cycling god such as myself I find they are often thankful of a few pointers on bike setup and technique, I may ride like a machine that feels no pain but they soon see human under the lycra

:roll:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I farily regularly ride my silly little bike (see below) 5 or 6 miles.

I don't bother to put the seat up because i still cant pedal efficiently, but there is a certain charm to riding such a bike. The agility and it just exudes (sp) fun, you can help but grin as you pump whatever and hop drains and curbs (into a cyclepath) etc.

Sure i'd get there faster on my 456 with slicks but I don't really care because sometimes that's not what it is about. As for pointers, generally, unless you know them I wouldn't. You'll invariably come across as an arrogant arsehole, not that it isn't tempting though.
  • I sometimes recommend tweaks to people on badly set up bikes, but only if they appear dangerous or desperately uncomfortable. I have even done a few roadside adjustments. The most negative response I've ever had was 'So?'. Some people are fairly indifferent, and some seem a little embarrassed, but mostly people are glad of the insight.

It helps if you are friendly and look like you know what you're talking about (one's own bike must be beyond reproach, whatever it is...) and make it clear you want to be helpful rather than sneer at them.

I remember several years ago, when I was younger and was living hand to mouth and had a scrappy second hand ATB, a friendly rider stopped me and suggested I adjust the handlebars. They were bullhorns, and I had let the clamp on the end of the stem get loose so they were slipping and getting uncomfortably low, but I lacked the nouse to spot it. I was extremely grateful and vowed to be as helpful to others if they seemed to need it.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Only Meeeee ..... You don't want to do that :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7vMvlRio5Y

:lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • sometimes, if thou hast taken the beam from thine own eye, it is allowed to help out with the mote in thy neighbour's...
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Tobiwan
    Tobiwan Posts: 28
    I thought this was going to be a rant about people riding with their flies undone (as I found myself doing this morning... oops!)

Getting back on topic, I for one would always be grateful if someone gave me some tips on my position / setup - provided it's done in a friendly manner of course! Someone's own setup would have to be desperately bad for me to say anything myself though - I'm too shy and not an expert at all!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I often want to say something to people with poor setups, but never have as they are normally going the wrong way.

I've seen dozens of squidgy tyres, saddles set to low, poor pedalling technique and once this morning went past someone who's gears where making a horrendous noise!

I have offered some advice to friends, on saddle height and gear adjustment and they seemed quite happy for the tips. Explaining the need to keep tyres at the correct pressure and that having them rock solid WON'T cause a puncture and could help reduce them and the sort.

I think one of the best things with cycling, as with any activity, is that it's a learning process. As you learn more about the activity you pay more attention to what you are doing. When I got my new bike last christmas (my first "proper" bike, having had many Apollo MTB's from Halfords, getting a GIant road bike was a big step up!) I vowed to the wife I wanted to learn how to maintain it myself. I'm gradually getting there :-)

My kids now reckon "Daddy's good at fixing bikes and computers!" and show an interest in learning themselves too!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'm always tempted to have a chat with girls (it mainly seems to be girls) who are pushing way to high a gear....

You see them from miles off, heads bobbing with every slow, heavy and painfull leg stroke.

"Oh for the love of God just change down - it will be easier and you'll go faster"

I've never done it though.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • 2wheelzgood
    2wheelzgood Posts: 373
    My girlfriend is trying out riding on one gear at the mo on her geared road bike. Go find another to lech over

I've not given advice but a bunch of chavs shouted at us fixed and singlies in teh square last night
    "ummm.. yea. GO AND GET A BMX."
    "Yea gerra beamex"
    "haha"
    and some other stuff I'm sure but I smiled and nodded and tuned out safe in the knowledge that their "advice" wouldn't get me into town at 25mph and without my bum dragging on the road.
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    LUBE YOUR CHAIN FFS!
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    cjw wrote:
    karl j wrote:

That's because they don't use them for distances / commuting. They're jump bikes...

Oh ok cheers,
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • lamchop
    lamchop Posts: 36
    Hmmm... when is the saddle too low?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    lamchop wrote:
    Hmmm... when is the saddle too low?

When you have to keep your head back out of the way of your knees......

Look, if you are interested in bike setup and ask around, its one thing, but do people honestly think its a good idea to accost random cyclists and proffer advice?

- hey courier guy - get a front brake...
    - Hey, strange bag-man, those curvy bars are supposed to point down....
    - hey, lady, your bike can travel up hills too if you press on the pedals
    - hey, mate, do you realise your child will be the first to get hit if you have an accident when he's in that luggage trailer?

We should start a club and wear the same jerseys like those dudes on the tube, then people would know what we were about. We are here to help. Stay safe out there. Don't do drugs.

• Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    Hey, you're supposed to stop at red lights.

Hey, you're safer cycling on the road than on the pavement.

And to cagers: Hey, put that phone down!

And so on.
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...