Bike clothing sizes

geoff_ss
geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
I've just bought a new club cycling top and I'm shocked that the one that fitted me is described as XXL :shock:

The tops are manufactured (well, designed, at least) by Giordana, an Italian firm. I'm 5'9" tall (which I think is average for an adult male) have a 40" chest measurement (little fat and even less muscle :)) and weigh less than 12st ( hardly obese and really relatively slim although I could lose a few pounds). Now if that qualifies as XXL - I can only think that the S sizes are intended for infants. I can think of people (even cyclists) whose garment size would quite likely run out of space on the label to carry the number of Xs.

Are Italian cyclist all emaciated midgets or are British cyclists giants? It would be interesting to know. It's almost enough to persuade me give up the occasional beer and that would never do.

Geoff
Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Do you wear the kit loose? Italian brands tend to be very small, and a lot of the kit is meant to be skin tight.

I generally take L/XL/XXL depending on the brand and it's normally pretty "snug".

I find the sizes vary wildly even within the same manufacturer - I bought an Adidas LS jersey in L which was a bit loose - needed a windproof jacket, so I got an adidas one in L also - but I couldn't zip it up :shock:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Are Italian cyclist all emaciated midgets or are British cyclists giants? It would be interesting to know. It's almost enough to persuade me give up the occasional beer and that would never do.

Geoff

Yes :D

Cycle clothing is mad. I usually take a small in normal clothing. I ordered a small DHB jersey from Wiggle and it was huge (large by normal standards) so I sent it back. I also ordered a Northwave jersey in medium which fit's perfect! :?

Red Rock
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    As reddragon says, Italian stuff is cut tight and meant to be worn tight. Also, much sport cycling clothing is made for lean types. I think you’d find most Italians your height, who were keen sport cyclists, weigh a few lbs under 11 stone, and so the jerseys are cut accordingly.
    Don’t give up on the occasional beer, but knock off the bakewell tart!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I tried a northwave jersey in XL and I could barley get my arm in it....

I have to be selective about brands and stick to them 6'5 & 46 inch chest doesn't happen in many outfits luckily campag and assos fit well enough... not yey for my wallet though

I wanted a rock racing top but their largest is quite frankly Fu<king tiny
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Try being female with ummm larger than average assets :lol:

It really restricts your choice of clothing and I usually end up in Mens gear - XL at least in order to fit over the larger chest zone. So if anyone from clothing companies is listening please take note - we aren't all size 8 and flat as pancakes!
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1882561/
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Try being female with ummm larger than average assets :lol:

It really restricts your choice of clothing and I usually end up in Mens gear - XL at least in order to fit over the larger chest zone. So if anyone from clothing companies is listening please take note - we aren't all size 8 and flat as pancakes!

Absolutely agree with you Sazzle - it's maddening, isn't it?

Oh and while we're at it - please can they stop assuming that the only colours women want are pink or baby blue.
  • Don't worry. I just bought a pair of bib shorts that have magically grown in size between trying them on in the shop and wearing them for a bike ride.

If anyone wants to buy a pair of medium altura bib shorts PM me. Bought em for 50 quid so am a bit annoyed somewhat :evil:

Here's a link http://www.awcycles.co.uk/brands/Altura ... index.aspx
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    It can be horribly demoralising when, excited by your cycling-induced weightloss, you invest in a pair of lycra shorts or a top that'll show the world just how slim you are. Then you open the packet and find an 'XL' sticker on it... It might as well say, "Yer still a fat bast*rd, the parameters have changed".

:wink: