Bike for a new rider.

Geiger
Geiger Posts: 30
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hey, I've decided to get into cycling but I'm not sure what bike to buy. I have around £400 to spend so how should I spend the money? Most on the bike and then the rest on all the stuff that comes with it, helmet, shorts etc or spread it all evenly?

And any suggestions on a bike around my budget that is decent would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben.

Comments

• Geiger
    I've looked on the sticky and just wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Cheers.
  • Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    £400 isn't much when it comes to bikes, most people say you should buy second-hand at the price but I appreciate people that want a new bike.

The Specialized Allez is a good bike, you could probably get a good deal on a 2008 model due to the 09's being released.

I was in your situation and spent weeks scouring the internet for bargains, fact is you aren't going to get many options for that amount of money.

My budget went from £350 to £600 - I'm going to pick up a Specialized Allez Sport from my LBS tomorrow, it's the next model up in the Allez range and has Tiagra groupset rather than Sora.

I come to the conclusion that I wouldn't get on with Sora shifters so wanted Tiagra at least.

Check out http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/c ... road-bikes
  • Geiger
    Phixion wrote:
    £400 isn't much when it comes to bikes, most people say you should buy second-hand at the price but I appreciate people that want a new bike.

The Specialized Allez is a good bike, you could probably get a good deal on a 2008 model due to the 09's being released.

I was in your situation and spent weeks scouring the internet for bargains, fact is you aren't going to get many options for that amount of money.

My budget went from £350 to £600 - I'm going to pick up a Specialized Allez Sport from my LBS tomorrow, it's the next model up in the Allez range and has Tiagra groupset rather than Sora.

I come to the conclusion that I wouldn't get on with Sora shifters so wanted Tiagra at least.

Check out http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/c ... road-bikes

I'm not that fussed on getting a super amazing one, just one to get me started really, see if I take to it, if I do I'll look to upgrade.

Something else, I know nothing about stuff on bikes, I only know what's basic on most bikes, 2 wheels, pedals and handle bars :P

Making the assumption that LBS is local bike shop?
  • Phixion
    Yes LBS = Local Bike Shop.

Giant are quite popular for your price range, the SCR models vary in price but start at ~£350 - http://www.awcycles.co.uk/category/bike ... ilter.aspx

The main difference between a cheap and expensive bike is obviously the frame, and the groupset it uses (gear shifters, front & rear derailleur).

You can't really go wrong, most of the frames are made in the same place, the manufacturers just stamp their coloring/logo on and sell them, it all comes down to what you like the look of and how it feels to ride.

Remember, if you are looking for a road bike with flat bars (no drops) then your budget will take you slightly further. You can get a Specialized Sirrus for £400 and with the new models coming in you should be able to get a 2008 model for slightly less.

Bikepedia.com is a great place to check out different brands etc, you can even see some of the new 2009 frames that have been released: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx
  • Geiger
    Phixion wrote:
    Yes LBS = Local Bike Shop.

Giant are quite popular for your price range, the SCR models vary in price but start at ~£350 - http://www.awcycles.co.uk/category/bike ... ilter.aspx

The main difference between a cheap and expensive bike is obviously the frame, and the groupset it uses (gear shifters, front & rear derailleur).

You can't really go wrong, most of the frames are made in the same place, the manufacturers just stamp their coloring/logo on and sell them, it all comes down to what you like the look of and how it feels to ride.

Remember, if you are looking for a road bike with flat bars (no drops) then your budget will take you slightly further. You can get a Specialized Sirrus for £400 and with the new models coming in you should be able to get a 2008 model for slightly less.

Bikepedia.com is a great place to check out different brands etc, you can even see some of the new 2009 frames that have been released: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Default.aspx

I would like drop handlebars. I think I'll give the SCRs a bash then. I'll cehck out bikepedia.com as well, thanks.
  • Phixion
    Just make sure you get at least Sora components, Shimano 2200 is even lower spec!

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupset for groupset info, Shimano go like this (best at the top):

Shimano - 2008

* Dura-Ace
    * Ultegra
    * Tiagra
    * Sora

The Specialized Allez's at my LBS are going for £450, it's a great entry-level bike, I prefer Specialized over Giant, but thats just me.
  • CheeseyJoe
    CheeseyJoe Posts: 95
    Check out Chain Reaction Cycles, that's where I got mine for just £280. I didn't have a lot to spend either and the bike I got (BeOne Briza 1.0) is pretty good. You'll have a bit of money to spend on the kit you need then as well.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=862

• Rebel Ian
    Rebel Ian Posts: 17
    Phixion wrote:

I have the Allez and the shifters are excellent. I don 't have any problems at all.
  • Phixion
    The issue I had with them is you can't change gears on the drops alone, you have to switch to hoods just to change.

With Tiagra you can stay on drops and change up and down. Personally I prefer to have all my gear shifting in 1 place.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    The Be One looks fine for a first bike and leaves you some money for pedals and shoes. There is a lot of discussion regarding the various merits of components and the hierarchy from 2200 to Dura Ace etc; you will find that even the cheapest kit works ok. Things like the derailleur are not heavily loaded components and are perfectly fit for purpose and will last for thousands of miles. The component that needs the most attention and gives the biggest performance gain is the rider; get a bike and go out and enjoy. I have a work colleague that wants a road bike, he has looked at all the models and taken advice, he is not sure if he should buy 105 or Tiagra, a Boardman or a Specialized; while he decides I am out enjoying myself. If you find you are ‘hooked’ on cycling and want to upgrade then your first bike can become your winter hack, or if you don’t enjoy cycling you have not wasted a fortune. I have a relatively cheap bike with 2200 kit and have covered quite large distances without any trouble; the only components I have changed are the tyres. I have used the bike in Sportive events and the only performance restriction was my body.
  • moorehen
    moorehen Posts: 95
    Phixion wrote:
    The issue I had with them is you can't change gears on the drops alone, you have to switch to hoods just to change.

With Tiagra you can stay on drops and change up and down. Personally I prefer to have all my gear shifting in 1 place.

I can change on the drops on my Sora shifters no problem.
  • Geiger
    No idea what you guys are on about ^^ Could someone explain the bike basics for me? :D
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Have a browse of Sheldon Brown's (RIP) excellent website:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_dr-z.html#drops
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Phixion wrote:
    Just make sure you get at least Sora components, Shimano 2200 is even lower spec!

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupset for groupset info, Shimano go like this (best at the top):

Shimano - 2008

* Dura-Ace
    * Ultegra
    * Tiagra
    * Sora

The Specialized Allez's at my LBS are going for £450, it's a great entry-level bike, I prefer Specialized over Giant, but thats just me.

cheers for that be handy look up, as i get my old bike back from the shop tomorrow with new stuff, ie almost all bar the frame, and as i kept downtube shifting it's a bit of pick and mix, should work okay though, certianly seemed crisp when i took it for a spin the other day.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Geiger Firstly, good job for realizing that there are a number of things that you need apart from just the bike. I know someone who went into a bike shop for a £500 bike, came out with a £1000 one, and had no money whatsoever for proper bike kit.

So a few things that you're going to want...

Spare tubes, tyre levers and a small pump
    Some basic tools and a track pump
    A load of clothing, you don't have to get lyrca if you don't want to, but your bum won't forgive you for not wearing some kind of padded shorts
    Possibly a helmet it's your choice

The trouble is, you'll struggle to get all that for 400 quid. However, if you can find some aldi cycling stuff, than there is still hope.

Down the line you are possibly going to want to get clipless pedals and shoes which is another few quid and another possible thread.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Geiger
    Jez mon wrote:
    Geiger Firstly, good job for realizing that there are a number of things that you need apart from just the bike. I know someone who went into a bike shop for a £500 bike, came out with a £1000 one, and had no money whatsoever for proper bike kit.

So a few things that you're going to want...

Spare tubes, tyre levers and a small pump
    Some basic tools and a track pump
    A load of clothing, you don't have to get lyrca if you don't want to, but your bum won't forgive you for not wearing some kind of padded shorts
    Possibly a helmet it's your choice

The trouble is, you'll struggle to get all that for 400 quid. However, if you can find some aldi cycling stuff, than there is still hope.

Down the line you are possibly going to want to get clipless pedals and shoes which is another few quid and another possible thread.

I'm a big fan of helmets ^^ It seems to be a rather heated topic, helmets.

I've been looking for clothes and they are all really really expensive, so I'm just gonna get some shorts first and then work on getting some jerseys.

Another question, are there any large UK cycling shops that I could go and try a few bikes out, I've found some that I'm interested in online but I can't try them out online ^^
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Leave a 100 notes for stuff - helmet, bottle & cage, multi-tool, spare tubes, lock, lights, repair kit & padded shorts. You may want to consider shoes, jersey & a wind/shower proof top too. I reckon all of that would be over £150 in total.

I think you need to spend around £300 to get anything half decent, in terms of bikes. Better to spend £450-500 and get a Trek 1000 though!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    and for a first bike go to a shop, you'll want the friendly professional help and aftersales support.