Which one Scott MC 30, Lapierre Zesty or Giant Reign 2

ub40
ub40 Posts: 7
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello everybody, I'm new here and I hope that you can help me in making this decision.

I live in Switzerland and am looking to do trails and a bit of light DH (maximum of red slopes). I'm 43 so no crazy DH runs for me. Also thinking of using the bike for some short commutes and some relatively flat trails hence the desire for a bike that's not all out DH.

The bikes I'm considering are the Scott Genius MC 30 '08 model, the Giant Reign 2 or the Lapierre Zesty 314. (All in a similar price bracket)

The only one I have tested is the Scott and what I liked about it was the suspension especially the remote for the rear suspension.

I've heard good things about the Giant Reign 2 and the Lapierre Zesty and was wondering if anyone here has tried these bikes and would care to share an opinion. As i'm unable to get a test ride on these.

Sorry for the long winded post, just thought it would hekp if I put out as much relevant info.

Thanks.

Comments

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Hello, I can't be too useful as the only bike I've tried of those three is the Scott - but I would say it's definitely not a bike for downhill.

In fact I found the weight was a bit too over the front for the red XC route at Glentress where I rode it. Brilliant climber, but a bit twitchy on the downhills.

Getting one bike for downhilling and commuting is quite a tall order - but the Reign may be a very good bet. It was certainly on my shortlist when I was buying my last bike.
  • ub40
    Thanks Chaka Ping for your post. It's very usefull and I'm glad I posed the question here as your comments have got me thinking.

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not really looking for an all out DH bike, I guess more of a Trail / Enduro / All Mountain type (all these terms are very confusing). In other words a bike that will see more of trails with a little bit of DH slopes (nothing more than a red) thrown in the mix.

The only bike I have tried down a red slope was the Scott MC 30 and I'm glad you pointed out it's shortcoming in that area, being absolutely new to this I have no other reference. Which is why I'm here to seek advice from folks in the know.

I heed your advice and throw out the commuting aspect, I agree with you, that it is a bit of stretch to try and include that.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd definately buy two bikes, you'll be making too many compromises. I'd look at a single speed/fixed gear road bike, for example the langster, for commuting, assuming you don't have too many hills on your commute (unlikely i know). Then buy another bike for fun! I'd toss a marin quad 140 bikes into the ring.
  • Don't buy Genius neither MC or RC.
    Both are problematic. Like small bearings on the suspension which makes it more times to replaces that bearings, and also you can brake it easily - the welds sucks.
    You can take under consideration Santa Cruz - Nomad, Heckler or Blur , also Specialized Enduro - or S-works.
    Probably Reign is good but it depends of the components I can't see that Reign 2 on the Giant site there is only Reign 0.
  • The reviews I have seen for the zesty have all been very positive. I'd go for that.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I have a 2008 Reign frame but I've put a bigger (160/36mm) fork on it than Giant do. It is a fantastic bike but I don't think it would feel anywhere as nice with a 140/32mm fork.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    maybe a spicy might be better then the zesty.

Also in switzerland you shoudl be able to get Focus or Cube bikes that might be worth a look..and also stevens do a nice all mountiain bike
  • ub40
    Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.

Ok. The Scott is put on the backburner based on advice here and will look into the Specialized (my wallet is scared at the mention).

I used to have an HT Focus that got nicked, which is what got me into thinking about buying a new bike, it wasn't bad but not theLBS doesn't carry it anymore, they switched to Scott and Canondale.

As for the Spicy, I want to see if the LBS will atleast let me try it in the vicinity of the shop so that I can compare it to the Zesty. Pity the Reign is only available on order as I would have liked to try that as well.

For the Reign 2 Specs here they are

SIZES: S,M,L
    FRAME: REIGN 6” 152mm - AluxX™ - FluidForm™
    FORK: MARzOCCHI XC 600
    SHOCK: FOX Float RP2
    BRAKES: HAYES Stroker Ryde
    DRIVETRAIN: SRAM X.7 27 speed
    WHEELS: WTB Laser Disc Trail

If you want to see what it looks like then you can find it on the Giant international website, I don't know if I'm allowed to post links here.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Click pics for larger versions

Reign 2:

Reign%202%2008.jpg

Reign WOC:

2716921809_88db91d5c5.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."