I just bought a my first road bike SCR3 - what to do next

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Yesterday I bought my first road bike a Giant SCR 3, I had a Giant M2 previously and I love both bikes. I am amazed at how much easier the SCR3 climbs hills compared to my previous bike - could be any combination of things: Frame size SCR3 is a large the M2 is a medium, wheel size, weight of the bike, me.

I ride to work, which is about 12miles there and back, and am planning longer rides on the weekend.

After years of having an interest in cycling I want to indulge myself more by joining group rides and eventually upgrade my bike's components (pedals, brakes, shifters, front mech cassette etc) as a side hobby

What should I do next?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    find a friendly club?

as to upgrades faster tires are probably your cheapest bang for buck option after that wheels maybe?
  • DonDaddyD
    find a friendly club?

as to upgrades faster tires are probably your cheapest bang for buck option after that wheels maybe?

Was thinking about pedals and shoes to be honest. Then possibily tyres/wheels after.

Any suggestions as to what tyres and/or wheel?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    What next? Ride ....

It's easy to get sucked into spending vast sums on things which have only the most marginal impact on performance when compared to improving your own performance.

Having said that, if you haven't got clipless pedals, then these (plus some shoes) are worth getting straight away (spd's work well and you can walk in the shoes).

After that, a decent front light so you can carry on riding outside of the so-called season.

So, that's about £350 gone already ....

The rest I'd worry about as they wear out, so probably starting in 1,000 to 2,000 miles time - tyres, chain, cassette ....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Don't get SPDs though, I use em on the commuter and they are fine for that but I much prefer the Speedplays I use on my road bike, would never use spds on that.

Wheel wise I'm a massive fan of the Fulcrum Range having owned 7's 1's and 0's. Tire wise you can't do much better than Continental GP4000S tires (IMHO).
  • beakyboy
    beakyboy Posts: 38
    Don't get SPDs though, I use em on the commuter and they are fine for that but I much prefer the Speedplays I use on my road bike, would never use spds on that.

Wheel wise I'm a massive fan of the Fulcrum Range having owned 7's 1's and 0's. Tire wise you can't do much better than Continental GP4000S tires (IMHO).

How do you find the conti's? many punctures? I was thinking of getting some for my 105 wheels but the roads around here (ireland) are fairly shocking and was worried about tyre life.
    May the wind always be at your rear!
  • il_principe
    Superb tires, far better than the 4000s IMHO and they have been pretty hard wearing so far, had about 2 punctures I think and ive put a lot of miles on them. They are a doddle to fit as well.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Put a computer on it. It will help you see any improvements in your performance.
    Justice for the 96
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What should I do next?

Get out there, ride it and enjoy it. Upgrade the parts later on as you wear bits out.
  • DonDaddyD
    fizz wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What should I do next?

Get out there, ride it and enjoy it. Upgrade the parts later on as you wear bits out.

I ride every day to work - 12 miles a day, with two moderate hills - and love every moment of it! Could go further will do on the weekends I'm glad I didn't buy the SCR1 or 2 now I enjoy the bike as it is and can work on improving its performance, which is something I will also enjoy doing - making the bike truly my own.

I've decided to buy sun glasses, not to block out the sun mind, just that after riding around in London I'm finding that I have to empty all the dirt and stuff out of my eyes and it doesn't help that I suffer hayfever.

Anywho, too many people have told me to get shoes and pedals and then upgrade the tyres and wheels (in that order) for me not to take notice.

So, is this a good deal/bundle:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/Products/R ... Combo.aspx
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    Bleurgh! Nope - well nope in that that aint (a) a road shoe/pedal combo and (b) that shoe is fugly! :mrgreen: Try this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_R1_Road_Shoes/5360033177/
    and these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shimano_PD-R540_SPD_SL_Sport_Pedals/5360011753/
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Clipless pedals (perhaps the new Shimano 105s from Ribble cycles - going cheap at the moment) and a stiff pair of shoes (ie road shoes, not MTB or leisure unless you are set and touring or commuting). After that just get out and ride. After a month or so of road riding, try joining a club.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • DonDaddyD
    I decided on getting:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... HIMPEDA800

With these shoes:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... HIMZSHR440

I'm happy with the bike as is, for now, but will upgrade the wheels and tyres soon - Maybe a Christmas present - before that though I'll be joining a club.
    Food Chain number = 4

• julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    I think that's a good choice if you're definitely decided on getting proper road shoes. Have you tried them on?
  • Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    Most folk have a cheaper set of wheels for the winter so why don't you keep the ones on now and then upgrade to a better set for next summer, then keep the old ones as spares for winter - if you catch my drift!!

I have done the same and was also going to spend a small fortune on wheels/tyres etc that I don't really need. At my level I don't think I'd notice too much difference anyway!
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    let us know how you get on with the new shoes and pedals. We have all had embarrassing moments where we fell flat on our faces while clipped in. Its usually stopped at a set of traffic lights with a million people watching :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • DonDaddyD
    Yeti575 wrote:
    Most folk have a cheaper set of wheels for the winter so why don't you keep the ones on now and then upgrade to a better set for next summer, then keep the old ones as spares for winter - if you catch my drift!!

I have done the same and was also going to spend a small fortune on wheels/tyres etc that I don't really need. At my level I don't think I'd notice too much difference anyway!

Don't really understand why riding the cheaper wheels in winter is a preferable option...

I agree and at my level there is no reason to upgrade the bike at all. But I've always enjoyed cycling and have always wanted to build modify my own bike (so that I can call it my own). I see it as a hobby that I once (up till now) couldn't afford.

To be honest, the way people drive around where I live (in South London) I'll most likely go back to my Giant M2 in the winter (or may buy the R2 - same bike has 700x23 wheels faster, presumably handles longer distance better - as I have mostly given the M2 to my bro) for the added agility and greater stopping power.
    Food Chain number = 4

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Don't forget yer padded pants! :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Doobz wrote:
    let us know how you get on with the new shoes and pedals. We have all had embarrassing moments where we fell flat on our faces while clipped in. Its usually stopped at a set of traffic lights with a million people watching :)

Been there, done that :lol: :oops:
    Justice for the 96
  • Sheptastic
    Sheptastic Posts: 298
    possibly the most embarrassing moment of my life, think the 5 cars behind though i'd died on the bike in a Tom Simpson style, cept moins the acid!

didnt help that they came set with the spring at greatest tension, damm you Keo..
  • DonDaddyD
    Doobz wrote:

So I got the new pedals and shoes and after reading this thread decided to try one clipless pedal at a time.

First time I clipped in, fell over, lucky I was in the garden. Second time I clipped in I fell over the lawnmower. Third time I put both pedals on cycled out of my road turned right, stopped and as I was about to set off (up hill) fell over - apparently I was far more focused on 'clipping in' than actually generating forward momentum to get me up the hill - that one hurt but not as much as falling over the lawanmower....

Anywho almost immediately after that as I had my new shoes, pedals, sun glasses, shorts and cycle top (ribble and cycle-clothing.co.uk) I decided to go on a fairly decent ride: My house to the London Eye and back, 20miles in total. As soon as I turned back onto my road, I got a flat tyre.

Still one of the greatest rides of my life.
    Food Chain number = 4

• chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    ride. if you want to improve your performances here is some cycle training advice: http://www.cycling.dingdangdo.com/training.php
  • Its not the distance, its the being there, the new kit. Well done for being out there! Now go to a local bike shop and ask about clubs. Nothing beats getting out on the road (or off-road, MTBing) than being out there with friends. A relaxed 30mile ride with a cake stop, or an 80-100mile, 4-5hour blast...When you have good group of friends, you want to go out even when there's snow on the ground, and its minus something degrees!

*oh dear, I've gone off into dreamland again*
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    chill123 wrote:
    ride. if you want to improve your performances here is some cycle training advice: http://www.cycling.dingdangdo.com/training.php

seems like good advice.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • DonDaddyD
    Its not the distance, its the being there, the new kit. Well done for being out there! Now go to a local bike shop and ask about clubs. Nothing beats getting out on the road (or off-road, MTBing) than being out there with friends. A relaxed 30mile ride with a cake stop, or an 80-100mile, 4-5hour blast...When you have good group of friends, you want to go out even when there's snow on the ground, and its minus something degrees!

Absolutely, I would love to join a club, I just want to get a few miles (for experience) under my belt first. Am planning on riding the London to Windsor (if I can) see how I enjoy that and then perhaps join a club.
    Food Chain number = 4

• peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    passout wrote:
    a stiff pair of shoes (ie road shoes, not MTB or leisure unless you are set and touring or commuting). .

I have to say this is actually a complete falacy a hoary old chestnut

Its continual perpetuation is preventing a lot of casual and novice road riders from using SPD , a more suitable shoe and pedal combination.

I am not getting at you passout because there are a lot of cyclist's say the same thing bu most have never actually tried both Look and SPD setups back to back for casual cycling and training /club runs.

Unless you are actually racing in cat 4 races or triathlon or time trials there is no benefit whatsoever in using road pedals and stiff soled road shoes. In fact it is a distinct disadvantage particularly for those just taking up cycling

MTB style shoes are no less stiff' than race shoes .I have used both clipless setups on my road bikes since they were first brought out in the 80's

MTB style shoes have fully recessed cleats and varying amounts of tread on the soles which allow you to walk perfectly normally when entering shops, garages, cafe's etc
    They do not flex when cycling :roll: The only difference I have noticed between the two set ups is that the SPD pedals with MTB shoes are considerably more comfortable both on and off the bike.

MTB shoes do not have to look like MTB there are plenty of shoes you could hardly tell apart from road shoes now. I am currently using the Shimano MO80B which are brilliant

If you are so vain that you couldn't wear MTB shoes because of what the other club members might say about you then wear overshoes over the top. :wink:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Its not the distance, its the being there, the new kit. Well done for being out there! Now go to a local bike shop and ask about clubs. Nothing beats getting out on the road (or off-road, MTBing) than being out there with friends. A relaxed 30mile ride with a cake stop, or an 80-100mile, 4-5hour blast...When you have good group of friends, you want to go out even when there's snow on the ground, and its minus something degrees!

Amen brother! Group of like-minded riding buddies is essential. Especially mid-winter when the rain is hammering against your bedroom window and you can hear the wind rattling your roof tiles, your wrapped around a warm misses, but you know if you don't make the 09:30 meeting point the lads will rip you to shreds for being a nancy-boy, fair weather faggot! That's enough motivation for me :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    [

the lads will rip you to shreds for being a nancy-boy, fair weather faggot! :

guess that would get me out of bed too lol :D

its true though. Having some chums to ride with helps motivate on the cold wet days and it sure increases the fun loads :wink: