Hope Disc Brakes

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking of changing the brakes on my bike from Avid Juicy 3's to Hope ones, just wondering what the difference is between the Mono M4s and the Mono Minis, is it just size (and weight) or is there any thing else?
Thanks.

Comments

• Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    What bike are you hoping to put them on?

Are you gunning for power or weight saving or power and weight saving?

I used to have the mono mini pros and while they were good I found they lacked power, and that was when they were fitted to an S-Works hardtail! (I wait to be killed by mono mini fans here...)

They were fantastically light though and I am sure the power is more than sufficient but I love brakes that feel like I have chucked the titanic out the back when it comes to hard stopping.

Cant yet give an opinion on the M4's as I am currently fitting them to my Ransom and are yet to ride with them, but by all accounts they have massive power but are not the lightest out there.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • power too, M4 have two pistons in each caliper over most brakes standard two so more power but weight etc associated. mini are more of a standard XC brake.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why Hopes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lexiekay
    What bike are you hoping to put them on?

Its a Trek Fuel Ex 6.5, to be honest im never going to be the quickest of riders so I guess I'm more interested in power. I haven't been that impressed with the Juicy 3's so far.
    I was leaning more towards the M4's with floating rotor and braided hoses, mainly because I've heard some good things about them from friends.

why Hopes?

It doesnt really have to be Hopes, i dont know an awful lot about the technical side of things, so if you have any ideas as to what would be better i'd be interested to hear them :D
  • nicklouse
    i will recomend that you have look at the Formula Oros and go and try them, if you can.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • lexiekay
    Thanks Nick, any particular reason why you'd recommend these?
  • nicklouse
    been using them for a while (since they came out) and they are very very good.

great power and low weight, good for all disiplines from XC with 160mm discs and DH with 203mm discs.

have a read

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -k24-10019

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... k18--31070
  • Kiwi Kranker
    lexiekay wrote:
    I was leaning more towards the M4's with floating rotor and braided hoses, mainly because I've heard some good things about them from friends.

Sounds to me like a 'pimp my ride' sort of purchase...dont worry...its perfectly ok to do this...I know as that is exactly why I swapped out my perfectly capable Juicy 7's for a set of M4's!

As Nick also said the Oros get great reviews too.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

• lexiekay
    Thanks for the replies :D
    I must admit it is a bit of a pimp my ride thing, I was thinking the blue M4 rotors would look cool on my bike...!
    But will try and find somewhere to test the formula oro brakes too - those reviews have almost convinced me
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    If you want to be all sensible the formula brakes always get a good word on here.
    but for your riding and what not. i'd recommend pimping out with some mono mini's. I've had a few hope brakes and love em. especially the ones on my quake.
    M4's are too powerful for you i think and the mono mini's will stop you plenty quick and still look great.
    mono mini, braided hoses, floating saw disc - that's about as good as a brake can look in my eyes.
    support the british manufacturing too, you know you want to.

the rotor for the M4 and the mini is the same too btw.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    There's nothing wrong with a decently set up set of Juicy 3s to be honest. They generally get reviews equal to that of the Formulas and Hopes, they're actually suprisingly light, bleed kits/replacement pads are easy to get, don't rust (sounds minor, you'd be suprised with cheap brakes :P). Power/feel wise they're pretty much identical to the more expensive 5/7s once set up properly.

If they feel spongey at the moment I'd bleed them, new brakes often need this. If you pull the lever too far back on one side adjust the reach. if they're not gripping at all it sounds like the rotor is contaminated. Maybe they still need bedding in a bit?

Failing that, ebay them in good condition, they'll reach a good price and pimp as initially planned :D Just don't expect expensive CNC'd brakes to blow them away due to costing more.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Not that fast, not at all heavy, your only consideration is looks and you know it. :lol:

Do any come with nice coloured braided hoses???? Or buy aftermarket, was looking at some white ones a while ago, can't remember where though, thought they'd finish my black and white theme off a treat. :oops:
  • lexiekay
    Do any come with nice coloured braided hoses???? Or buy aftermarket, was looking at some white ones a while ago, can't remember where though, thought they'd finish my black and white theme off a treat.

I was actually thinking of white hoses..... :oops:
  • Kiwi Kranker
    If you are after coloured hoses I am pretty sure goodridge do them, I was going to run a set with my juicy's but apparently modulation is affected as there is very little give in goodridge hoses. Dont imagine thats a problem with the Hopes though as they already run braided lines.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

• RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I've got Hope M4's on two bikes and they are great brakes. Powerful, easy to modulate and yes they really look the part.

I'm not sure the precise weight difference between the Mini's and the M4's but it won't be huge as its only the diffence between the weight of the calipers
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I'd say get the M4's if you are going to be doing downhill or freeride as they are extremely powerful brakes. If you are going for the Hopes i'd say the Mini's would do the job fine for any xc course.