Routes around Padstow Cornwall (Whilst on holiday)

Russ29
Russ29 Posts: 16
Hi

I am a keen rider, but only of average standard, maybe ride twice a week if I can and on average 25-30 miles a ride. Would go further if time permitted.

I have a weeks holiday booked in Padstow with the Family, and will be requiring some peace and quiet through the week! Would like to explore the area more on my bike, but am not familiar with any good routes/busy roads etc etc.

I have an OS map for the area and will be based just outside of Padstow, does anybody know any good rides????

Thanks

Russ

Comments

• cannonfodder
    cannonfodder Posts: 183
    Just been to Padstow on holiday - but took the MTB for carting family around.

However the obvious and easy answer is the Camel Trail between Padstow and Bodmin - 34 miles return, no cars, but a lot of cyclists in good weather. Although you may want to get away from families on bikes.....
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Any route that takes you to Rick Steins restaurant :lol:
    exercise.png
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    When I stayed in the area years ago I did St. Tudy to Padstow and onto Port Isaac, then the following day did the reverse but continued back to Port Isaac. Can't remember the distance but do remember it was hilly. FWIW Port Isaac/Gaverne is where Doc Martin is filmed.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61
    Ive not long returned from a cycle tour which started at Padstow.. I shoved the bike on the train from Cardiff to Bodmin. Rode to my B&B at Padstow. The following morning rode to Holsworthy near Bude. This was my first experience of the Camel Trail and I was surprised how long it was. It goes as far as Blissland which is about 17 miles.

The second day I rode from Holsworthy to Barnstaple along the Tarka trail. The third day from Barnstaple to Exebridge over Exmoor. The following day from Exebridge to Watchet, and the final day Watchet to Bridgwater railway station. About 200 miles altogether.

Whilst in Padstow, forget all about Rick Steins restaurant. The starter alone can set you back £30!! :lol: !:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Just come back from the area around Padstow. Ye Gods! Apart from the Camel Trail, not a flat stretch of land in sight it seems. 10%+ gradients all over the shop, particularly either side of the towns set in a cove/based around a beach e.g. Polzeath and a few of the places on the coast road west of Padstow such Watergate Bay. But the views are fantastic, particularly at Watergate Bay.

If you take the Camel Trail all the way to Blisland, there's a 17%er to get to the main road, where you'd turn left to head back towards Wadebridge.

Careful around the lanes though. There are many blind corners and the locals aren't afraid to take them at speed without sounding their horns to let you know they're coming.

BPrice is right about Stein's places. Try "Custard" in Padstow - it's an English diner. Great breakfast. Closed on Tuesdays though.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Saturn
    Saturn Posts: 628
    IIRC the ferry across the estuary from Padstow to Rock didn't charge much if anything for bikes. The lanes over the other side were quieter but just as lumpy. My experience is now about 15 years old though. Enjoy!
    <font size="1">May all your tail winds be up-drafts</font id="size1">
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My memory of the ferry between Rock and Padstow was that I had to carry the bike on my left shoulder to get on so had to spin the bike round so the c/set was outer most and I was worried about getting sand in my somewhat over lubed SPDs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SRS Events
    SRS Events Posts: 264
    Well if you like climbling then the coast road has to been ridden.

From Padstow head out to TREATOR then on the B3276 then take a right for Hartyn.
    From HARTYN go past the Trevose golf club heading towards CONSTANTINE BAY.
    Follow the road to TREYARNON then TRETHIAS, PORTHCOTHAN to join the B3276 agian .
    Follow the B3276 to TREVARRIAN take the coast road to WATERGATE BAY then head for Newquay (avoid drunk surfer types but take time for an ice cream )

After a stop in Newquay (wipe the ideas of taking up surfing form your mimd-- your a cyclist) take the henver rd out of Newquay and follow the A3059 past Treisaac to TREKENNING junction with the A39 to Winnards Perch then follow the B3274 to PADSTOW CHECK YOUR map if you want to avoid these main roads and go via ST Mawgan , ST Eval , ST Ervan, Rumford Craigmorrick

ITS A NICE BUT HARDISH RIDE.

RUPERT
    http://www.srs-events.cc

of course if your feeling strong ride the coast road all the way down to Lands end and back -- you will need most of the day for this though. if you want details let me know.
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61
    Have you ever ridden the coast road from Wainhouse Corner to Bude? Its only about 10 miles but if you like climbing there are a couple of 30% hills which have quite technical descents, although it can be difficult to concentrate whilst looking at the wonderfull views!
  • I got back from a week near Newquay, and rode Newquay to Padstow and back a few times. Its hilly, short sharp stuff, but the biggest drag is the traffic. Cornwall used to be nice, now I hate the place - it's so busy during the summer it spoils it, for me anyway. I can particularly recommend the climb out of Mawgan Porth in either direction, though towards Padstow I reckon was harder. The Garmin route profile looks just like a row of sharks teeth, which is also midly amusing in a sadistic way.

As for food, my fave place is the Chough bakery opposite The Strand 2nd hand bookshop, facing the harbour. The "jumbo" pasties will keep you going for about 50 miles I'd say... :D
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    When are you coming down?

A nice route is to head towards Newquay along the coast road. When you get past Mawgan Porth after heading up the hill, instead of taking the right hand fork towards Watergate / Newquay, follow the road left & then turn left towards (and past) Newquay airport.
    When you get to the junction at the end turn left & follow the road down to St Columb / Trekenning roundabout. From here take the A39 (2nd left) towards Wadebridge. At the next roundabout turn left again down the B3274 and head back to Padstow.

A shorter route:
    Come out of Padstow out along the B3274. When you reach the roundabout at the A39, got straight over and follow this tight, twisty road all the way until you reach the old A30 at the Iron bridge. Turn left under the bridge and follow this road all the way until you reach St Columb / Trekenning roundabout.
    From here take the Wadebridge road then left at roundabout down the B3274 retracing your way back to Padstow.

Hope you have a nice time down here with all the rest of the bl**dy tourists! :lol: - joke
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com