GPS or Cycle Computer for XC

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
I currently have a Cateye Wireless 2 computer, however I lost the battery cover on the back - so I made a makeshift one myself, 1p piece and a bit of gaffer tape does the job! :oops:

However, this is only a temporary fix, as I am planning on replacing it.

I have looked at the latest Cateye stuff, looks good in the pics, but they are TINY!

I have also looked at the Garmin GPS units - Edge 205 which you can get for about £105.

So are these Garmin units worth the extra over a standard computer - about £50 more really.

Am I right in thinking you can plot your course back on Google Earth when you get back from a ride - ie. download your cycled course from the unit to PC.

Comments

• Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    not sure about the 205, but you can plot your course back to computer on the newer models, (605/705) and obviously you have the added benefit that if you want to goa bit further afield, you can download a pre-planned route to a GPS unit and eliminate the need for stopping to consult a map. Still need to take a map imo though in case of emergency.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Yes you can download a track from your 205 into Google Earth (via a bit of software called GPSBabel).

You can also plot a route using MemoryMap, TrackLogs, Quo etc. and follow that on the 205. Or if you're only going on road then Bikely, Mapmyride, Marengo etc. do the same.

If my 205 got destroyed tomorrow, I'd buy another one straight away.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Shame PC World dont have the 205/305 any more, they were doing them for £50/£100 respectively! I got a 205 from them and at 50 quid its a steal! You can plan routes, track all your stats, etc using it and its very good. Added bonus that its completely wireless on the bike too. If you can find one for a good price then I'd say its definately worth it. Not sure I'd pay any more than £100 for it though.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    £50 thats a bargain!!!!
    Yup, there was a monster thread around here somewhere on it a few months back. I think PC World bought a load but couldnt shift them, so dropped them to silly prices to get rid. Mind you, very few shops had one. Couldnt fnd one within 30miles of Basingstoke, so had to go from work (Slough) and even then the nearest was 20 miles away!! Was a mission to say the least, but still bloomin cheap!
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I bought a 205 and the muppets at PC Word gave put a 305 in the box!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Hi ,I just bought a Edge 305 its great not sure how it all works yet, but charge it up ,fix to bike go for ride when you get back plug into pc and get so much info its un real, the normal things like speed ,adv, max etc but also map of the route that you have done .acents /decent heights , heart rate, weather temp, wind speed , great after a ride to view, and keep a record of ya rides / training, You can get them on the ultimate pursuits web site. :lol: