Girls don't dope...or do they?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2008 in Pro race
Marta Bastianelli has tested positive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNe ... 8?rpc=401&
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• deal
    deal Posts: 857
    what gave you the idea that girls dont dope ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    i was being ironic.

It was a diet product anyway. A cyclist and a woman - She must think she's fat twice as much as other woman :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    :lol:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The only reason doping isn't as prevalent in womens racing is that the rewards don't justfy the expense of a doping programme.

20 years after Lemond breached the $1 million contract barrier, I'd doubt that there is a single female rider on a tenth of that.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    See as well one of the Danish MTB squad has failed a test for EPO and will miss the Olympics. No more details than that, just a snippet on Pez.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    "eats only salad" ?

The men apparently can't ride up mountains on mineral water, but the women can win the world championships on.....lettuce.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Wasn't it Leontin van Moorsel who became so obsessed with being a competitive weight she had developed an anorexic eating disorder by the mid-1990s?

Might be the same thing here, since she is pencil thin really.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    To be fair the product concerned isn't going to help you fly up mountains.

As much of a doping story as Shane Warne's diet pills.

You sh1t stirring for giggles Iain? :wink:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm no expert - but is there a possibility of it being a masking agent ?
  • This is, or at least was until the steroids had ther effect, Tammy Thomas, female racing cyclist.

322518981_04c0c0494e.jpg]

amd_tammy-thomas.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... rjury.html

http://www.steroidreport.com/2008/04/04 ... f-perjury/
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Thanks for putting me off my breakfast Aurelio :wink:
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Seconded!

Yak

that's the stuff of nightmares. Once is enough!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Tammy? I'd have put money on "her" having being chistened "Tommy"!
    Marta Bastianelli is as skinny as a rake, when I was watching the Worlds last year, I was thinking that the women were wearing the mens' cast-off jerseys, as they fitted so poorly.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    This looks more like an eating disorder issue than performance enhancing. Definitely in need of sympathy and help rather than castigation and punishment.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Salsiccia wrote:
    This looks more like an eating disorder issue than performance enhancing. Definitely in need of sympathy and help rather than castigation and punishment.

Were we as sympathetic when Nathan O'Neill and Lorenzo Bernucci tested positive for similar products last year? Bastianelli certainly looks malnourished but if some other small, Italian climber - Ricco for the sake of example - tested positive for a banned stimulant and claimed to exist on salad would we excuse him on self-image issues?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Think I'm in the same place.

I don't reserve too much sympathy for elite athletes who consume bags of 'herbs' that they have asked their pharmacist to prepare without fully knowing what is in there.

Or am I being harsh ?

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/arti ... et-product
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    LangerDan wrote:
    Salsiccia wrote:

Were we as sympathetic when Nathan O'Neill and Lorenzo Bernucci tested positive for similar products last year? Bastianelli certainly looks malnourished but if some other small, Italian climber - Ricco for the sake of example - tested positive for a banned stimulant and claimed to exist on salad would we excuse him on self-image issues?

You can still apply the rules - i.e. ban her from the Games - yet be sympathetic to the forces which may have driven her to take the product.

But no, I cannot imagine any situation where I'd feel sympathy for Ricco.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    She's an elite athlete and knows full well that she's responsible for everything she eats, including "herbal remedies". It's no good claiming you thought the herbal remedy would be safe if you didn't check the unknown product first.

If in doubt, don't use it. She's tested positive and either she is doping or she's stupid. Pick one.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    On the bbc - shes quoted talking about a mix of herbs from her chemist ?

Cyclingnews has '"My daughter only took a medicine for losing weight, Benfluorex, with the agreement of her doctor; she made sure that it wasn't a banned substance, it had a pineapple base," Mirella Bastianelli told AFP

Hmmm - maybe its the language barrier, but is this not two different excuses ?

Next she'll be pictured with her puppy.
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    Herbs. Pineapplies. Benfluorex? Who said men and women need seperate categories? When it comes to being busted, she's as good at inventing lies as the best Elite male. She's on a solo breakaway from the truth but it'll catch up with her. Ciao Mirella.