Cannon Street

Littigator
Littigator Posts: 1,262
edited July 2008 in Commuting chat
Each morning I cycle along Cannon Street past the station and almost every morning the traffic is busy to the point of being at a standstill past the stretch by the train station.

Every morning it's the same story, I crawl along the centre of the road knowing full well that between every halted bus and cab is a pedestrian literally waiting for my front wheel to arrive at which point they leap out in front of me and glare threateningly at me Clearly how dare I still try to move along the road when other traffic is stopped.

Perhaps it was only me that was taught at a pre-school age that crossing between stopped or parked cars was dangerous, or have I missed some new government edict which states that all pedestrians have a right to cross any section of road in front of, behind of or between any vehicle that is stopped for more than a nanosecond!

One day I am going to hit someone, I will be villified by all other pedestrians and probably held liable by the police as well despite the fact that I quite literally crawl along at about 5 mph!

Phew...rant over!
Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6

Comments

• Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    You should try the same stretch of road at 7am...There's no traffic, but they still file out of the station, straight across the road without looking...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Not a lot you can do other than stay vigilant. As Greggyr says, earlier in the morning there is much less traffic but it's still hairy with the peds. Keep your wits about you!
    <a>road</a>
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Of course it is also not easy for the pedestrians. They are just trying to get to work, but are confronted with a wall of cars that are hard to peer over or around.

I agree with the need to look as a pedestrian, but London's roads certainly aren't the friendliest to get across. In my part of London I've seen them just driving at pedestrians with the accelerator down. In one case I still can't work out how the pedestrian wasn't hit (this person had been crossing the road when the taxi came out of a side street and just went straight for them).
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the green cross code is dying
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    if only there was some kind of invention for crossing the road safely as a pedestrian. I don't know..we could call it a pedestrian crossing. :roll:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    cee wrote:
    if only there was some kind of invention for crossing the road safely as a pedestrian. I don't know..we could call it a pedestrian crossing. :roll:

There's one right outside the station. The peds stream across and when the light goes green for traffic you just have to ride at them, otherwise they won't stop. They stil give you dirty looks though.
    <a>road</a>