Essex Way - Steep?

julietp
julietp Posts: 67
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, does anyone know the gradient and length of Essex Way in benfleet. I'm told it's a fairly decent hill.

Comments

• morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I cycle up it regually. It is about 1km long and probabally 7%. It's good for a bit of practice, i.e. go up and down it a few times to practice. There is also Vicarage Hill next to it which is a bit steeper. Basically Essex Way is fine for exercise early in the morning as it can be busy later on and isn't part of a pleasant ride.
    For a better ride with some hills, or what passes for a hill in south Essex, you are better going out to How Lane which is off the old A130.
  • julietp
    Thanks for that. I decided to go up it last night. It was more difficult than any hill I've found on the routes I do around southend/benfleet/rayleigh and was a challenge, mainly because it is a good length. However getting to that hill was a fairly flat and annoying (due to traffic) cycle so it would be difficult to incorporate it into a decenr toute as you say. I think it is definitely a case of using it for practice which I will be doing so thanks for the info. I will have a look at vicarage hill too. I think Hoe Lane may be a bit far out from where I am for evening rides but may have a look one weekend. Cheers
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    did I see you walking up it last night :lol:
  • julietp
    ha ha - NO you did not although I did pass two cyclists walking up it and one cycling up it somewhat fater than myself..
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    are you saying that overweight people have to walk up hills? :roll:
  • julietp
    Hi Morrisje, Have you been up Bread and Cheese Hill in Benfleet? I find that very easy in comparison to Essex Way and Bread and Cheese is 10%. Again, there are hills in Leigh which are 16% but easier than Essex Way. If Essex Way is only 7% do you think it is the fact that it is relatively long that makes it harder than the others mentioned? I'm yet to try vicarage hill.
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    julietp wrote:
    Hi Morrisje, Have you been up Bread and Cheese Hill in Benfleet? I find that very easy in comparison to Essex Way and Bread and Cheese is 10%. Again, there are hills in Leigh which are 16% but easier than Essex Way. If Essex Way is only 7% do you think it is the fact that it is relatively long that makes it harder than the others mentioned? I'm yet to try vicarage hill.

1km at 7% is a long sustained effort....I don't know the hill but I presume the 16% one is a short sharp effort.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • dave0992
    dave0992 Posts: 27
    i had to walk up it the other night but then i am new to this, ive been practicing on chalkwell avenue i think its called, past the park
  • julietp
    I'm trying to picture chalkwell hill - if you are round those parts, Belton Way is a good one. It's about 1km and 8%, Bread and cheese is 10% but just over half a km. Essex way is in my experience the most challenging in the immediate area - mainly due to the length of it and the fact that gradient seems to pick up near the top. It is quite exposed too so if you are going into a headwind it is going to be difficult. I wouldn't worry if you find it difficult as I do too!
  • dave0992
    dave0992 Posts: 27
    will give them a go, im in westcliffe. i know belton way but ive only ever gone down it so far
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,954
    if i was starting in Benfleet looking for a lumpy weekend ride

head up to Danbury/ north hill way sling a left through the Easters on thru High Roding back Matching green - then Bobbibgworth attack the rollers at Toot hill over Theydon mount on the 12% side heading south.. then backhome via the kelvedon hatch Navestock "bermuda triangle"
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    1km at 7% is a long sustained effort....

Is it? Even you are only going 4mph (~ 6 kmph) it's only going to take about 10mins........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    fuzzynavel wrote:
    1km at 7% is a long sustained effort....

Is it? Even you are only going 4mph (~ 6 kmph) it's only going to take about 10mins........

10 minutes is what I would class as a long sustained effort...I hate big hills!
    I regularly do 1km at about 10%, as part of my rides and keep having to change down gears....
    I am building up the gym work to try to increase power output....
    Average power output over 1 hour on a hilly course was 211 watts a week ago.....257 watts on Sunday and 287watts last night.....am getting stronger so that when I get back out on my bike the hills won't be such a challenge.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!